Re: Antietam anecdote

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2003
      Hi Scott,

      Fine story. Do you know the context? Was this at a ford on the
      Potomac? What day did this happen? The text ("the rear or the
      infantry") suggests the tail end of the ANV departure from Sharpsburg
      on Sept 18 or 19 ...

      Also, this story illustrates humane behavior on Gen Gregg's part -
      would that have been unusual for him? I don't know a lot about him,
      but I'd not heard that he was noted for coldness or brutality
      particularly.

      Thanks,
      Brian

      In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@y...> wrote:
      > Taken from The Life and Times of J.E.B. Stuart...
      >
      > "General Munford relates an incident which occurred at the ford, and
      > which is worth preservation. As he reached the river bank he found
      > there General Maxey Gregg with about one hundred men, the rear of the
      > infantry.

      <snip>
    • Scott Mingus
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
        This incident allegedly occurred at Boteler's Ford on the 18th or so
        (prior to the Shepherdstown fight of course). Henry McClellan relayed
        this story in his book about JEB Stuart, and he was not always the
        most reliable reporter. Still, there seems to be a ring of truth
        about this particular story.

        Maxcy Gregg was much beloved by his men according to what I have
        read. He was considered an above average field commander and good
        tactician. As with many of his officers who fell in 1862, Lee would
        miss Gregg's talents at Gettysburg the following year, where the
        losses in senior commanders at times proved to be a problem as newly
        promoted junior officers failed to live up to their predecessors'
        abilities.

        Scott

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...>