Re: Request - CavOps 15thPa

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
      Hi Ron,

      Coincidentally, I've done a little reading recently on both the Regt
      and its commander. There must be quite a story in there somewhere,
      really - I think it'd make a good movie!

      "The Anderson Cavalry", as they were also known, were organized by Col
      Palmer in July and August 1862, its officer corps largely from an
      independent cavalry Company headed by then-Capt Palmer - the Anderson
      Troop. That company had been/was still in service at HQ with Gen Buell
      in the West.

      Palmer was raising and training the new regiment in Pennsylvania when
      Gen Lee began his Maryland Campaign of 1862; but he was not completely
      manned, and training had only just begun.

      "The alarm raised by the invasion extended well into Pennsylvania, and
      Governor Andrew Curtain fired off feverish telegrams to War Department
      suggesting that the Anderson Cavalry be employed along the
      Pennsylvania/Maryland border. As a result of this request 250 picked
      men were sent to Greencastle with orders to gather horses in the area
      and resist incursions into the state".

      "Several skirmishes took place, and the detachment moved forward into
      Hagerstown when the Confederates moved out toward South Mountain and
      Antietam".

      "During the Battle of Antietam the detachment did service as scouts
      and returned stragglers to their units. During this period Captain
      Palmer was captured while within Confederate lines in civilian clothes
      while gathering information for General McClellan".

      [The Colonel, captured in civilian clothes - a spy? Fertile ground
      for investigation.]

      (quoted text used on aotw.org, and found on
      http://www.swcivilwar.com/15PA.html)

      There's a lot more to the Regiment than that, of course. You can see
      the basics about the Regiment and its Colonel, with links to more
      sources and detail at:

      http://aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=29 (the 17th PA Cav page; follow
      the link from there to Col Palmer or up to Brigade, Div, etc).

      Regards,

      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Church" <rchurch@q...> wrote:
      > I am trying to pull together some information on the 15th Pa Cavalry and
      > would much appreciate any assistance/ direction that anyone might offer.
      > Don't have much so far and since CavOps at Antietam were not heavily
      > depended upon, there might not be a whole lot. It's listed in the
      Order of
      > Battle as being unattached and commanded by Col. Wm Palmer.
      >
      > I'm heading for the OR's, but if anyone has anything on it, or can
      point me
      > toward something I'd appreciate it.
      >
      > Ron Church
      > Manchester MD
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
        Brian,

        Can't thank you enough. That's exactly what I'm after. This machine and
        the world of information it opens up never cease to amaze me.

        The spy story certainly is fascinating, I think that anywhere spies are
        involved there's a movie in it somewhere. I did notice that when the unit
        moved west Col. Palmer is not listed as being with it. Looks like it has
        all the ingredients for a drum head court, pity poor Palmer if such was the
        case.

        Sincerest thanks
        Ron Church
        Manchester MD