Request - CavOps 15thPa

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
      I am trying to pull together some information on the 15th Pa Cavalry and
      would much appreciate any assistance/ direction that anyone might offer.
      Don't have much so far and since CavOps at Antietam were not heavily
      depended upon, there might not be a whole lot. It's listed in the Order of
      Battle as being unattached and commanded by Col. Wm Palmer.

      I'm heading for the OR's, but if anyone has anything on it, or can point me
      toward something I'd appreciate it.

      Ron Church
      Manchester MD
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
        Hi Ron,

        Coincidentally, I've done a little reading recently on both the Regt
        and its commander. There must be quite a story in there somewhere,
        really - I think it'd make a good movie!

        "The Anderson Cavalry", as they were also known, were organized by Col
        Palmer in July and August 1862, its officer corps largely from an
        independent cavalry Company headed by then-Capt Palmer - the Anderson
        Troop. That company had been/was still in service at HQ with Gen Buell
        in the West.

        Palmer was raising and training the new regiment in Pennsylvania when
        Gen Lee began his Maryland Campaign of 1862; but he was not completely
        manned, and training had only just begun.

        "The alarm raised by the invasion extended well into Pennsylvania, and
        Governor Andrew Curtain fired off feverish telegrams to War Department
        suggesting that the Anderson Cavalry be employed along the
        Pennsylvania/Maryland border. As a result of this request 250 picked
        men were sent to Greencastle with orders to gather horses in the area
        and resist incursions into the state".

        "Several skirmishes took place, and the detachment moved forward into
        Hagerstown when the Confederates moved out toward South Mountain and
        Antietam".

        "During the Battle of Antietam the detachment did service as scouts
        and returned stragglers to their units. During this period Captain
        Palmer was captured while within Confederate lines in civilian clothes
        while gathering information for General McClellan".

        [The Colonel, captured in civilian clothes - a spy? Fertile ground
        for investigation.]

        (quoted text used on aotw.org, and found on
        http://www.swcivilwar.com/15PA.html)

        There's a lot more to the Regiment than that, of course. You can see
        the basics about the Regiment and its Colonel, with links to more
        sources and detail at:

        http://aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=29 (the 17th PA Cav page; follow
        the link from there to Col Palmer or up to Brigade, Div, etc).

        Regards,

        Brian

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Church" <rchurch@q...> wrote:
        > I am trying to pull together some information on the 15th Pa Cavalry and
        > would much appreciate any assistance/ direction that anyone might offer.
        > Don't have much so far and since CavOps at Antietam were not heavily
        > depended upon, there might not be a whole lot. It's listed in the
        Order of
        > Battle as being unattached and commanded by Col. Wm Palmer.
        >
        > I'm heading for the OR's, but if anyone has anything on it, or can
        point me
        > toward something I'd appreciate it.
        >
        > Ron Church
        > Manchester MD
      • Ron Church
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
          Brian,

          Can't thank you enough. That's exactly what I'm after. This machine and
          the world of information it opens up never cease to amaze me.

          The spy story certainly is fascinating, I think that anywhere spies are
          involved there's a movie in it somewhere. I did notice that when the unit
          moved west Col. Palmer is not listed as being with it. Looks like it has
          all the ingredients for a drum head court, pity poor Palmer if such was the
          case.

          Sincerest thanks
          Ron Church
          Manchester MD