Antietam anecdote

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13 1:48 PM
      Taken from The Life and Times of J.E.B. Stuart...

      "General Munford relates an incident which occurred at the ford, and
      which is worth preservation. As he reached the river bank he found
      there General Maxey Gregg with about one hundred men, the rear of the
      infantry. At the edge of the river, and in the water, stood an
      ambulance filled with wounded men. The cowardly driver had unhitched
      his horses, crossed the river, and had left his suffering comrades to
      the mercy of the foe. The poor fellows begged piteously to be carried
      to the other side. General Gregg lifted his hat, and said to his
      soldiers, --
      "My men, it is a shame to leave these poor fellows here in
      the water! Can't you take them over the river ?"
      In an instant a dozen or more strong men laid hold on the
      ambulance and pulled it through the water, in most places waist deep,
      amid the shouts of the rest, who sang, --
      "Carry me back to Old Virginia."
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14 7:35 AM
        Hi Scott,

        Fine story. Do you know the context? Was this at a ford on the
        Potomac? What day did this happen? The text ("the rear or the
        infantry") suggests the tail end of the ANV departure from Sharpsburg
        on Sept 18 or 19 ...

        Also, this story illustrates humane behavior on Gen Gregg's part -
        would that have been unusual for him? I don't know a lot about him,
        but I'd not heard that he was noted for coldness or brutality
        particularly.

        Thanks,
        Brian

        In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@y...> wrote:
        > Taken from The Life and Times of J.E.B. Stuart...
        >
        > "General Munford relates an incident which occurred at the ford, and
        > which is worth preservation. As he reached the river bank he found
        > there General Maxey Gregg with about one hundred men, the rear of the
        > infantry.

        <snip>
      • Scott Mingus
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19 5:34 AM
          This incident allegedly occurred at Boteler's Ford on the 18th or so
          (prior to the Shepherdstown fight of course). Henry McClellan relayed
          this story in his book about JEB Stuart, and he was not always the
          most reliable reporter. Still, there seems to be a ring of truth
          about this particular story.

          Maxcy Gregg was much beloved by his men according to what I have
          read. He was considered an above average field commander and good
          tactician. As with many of his officers who fell in 1862, Lee would
          miss Gregg's talents at Gettysburg the following year, where the
          losses in senior commanders at times proved to be a problem as newly
          promoted junior officers failed to live up to their predecessors'
          abilities.

          Scott

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...>