Antietam on the Web waking up ...

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
      Greetings fellow listers. It sure is quiet :)

      I have a couple of items, if you're interested. I've been in a kind of
      hibernation, consumed by my day job for a couple of years, but I've
      got some of my life back for the moment ... so I'll just jump on in.

      First, I'd really like to read Dr Clemens' edited Carman
      manuscript(s), if available. I just don't know where to obtain it.
      Is this work 'published' in the public sense? I'd be most tickled to
      buy a copy, if possible. Anybody know? I live relatively close to
      GMU, if a visit there would be effective.

      On a related note, I have been delighting in the Carman-Cope maps of
      the Battlefield at Antietam - the Atlas. The Library of Congress has
      put them online, along with some pretty sophisticated viewing
      software. The maps are very large (digitally speaking), but just
      magnificently reproduced. I recommend a vist, if you haven't already
      seen them, to:
      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))

      Because of the large scale of the maps, and the fine-grain detail,
      they're impossible to see all at once on one computer screen, at least
      at a legible magnification. So, I'm beginning work on versions of
      these maps optimized for the Web using these LoC digital images with
      symbols overlayed, and eventually interactively linked to more
      information about units, individuals, etc. At my present rate,
      though, this might take months or even years. For other computer geeks
      out there, I'm learning a bit about Flash, which looks promising for
      this project.

      Which brings me to some shameless promotion - I've had a website about
      the battle going for some years, called Antietam on the Web (AotW),
      but it's never been as complete or thorough or interesting or useful
      as I'd like. I've recently found a new home/server, and done some
      database and web programming to better present information I do have
      assembled. I invite you to come take a look at http://aotw.org

      And ... if anyone has the time and inclination, I'm looking for help
      in continuing to build and refine the AotW website in a number of ways
      - actually hoping to build a communitiy of fellow enthusiasts who have
      things to say about the Battle. I'll never be able to do it justice
      alone. I've built some simple web tools members can use to contribute
      directly on the site, online.

      AotW is an outlet and focus for my passion for the History, and is
      strictly non-commercial. No fees, no advertising, no marketing, no
      hidden agendae. I hope this doesn't look like spam!

      Anyway, it's good to be back, and I look forward to hearing from you
      all. Thanks!

      Brian
      bdowney@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
        Dear Brian,

        Welcome back!

        I will try to review the Cope Carman maps from your link
        sometime soon. Tom Clemens is the best person to ask about
        public publication of the Carman manuscripts.... From what I
        recall, it is a daunting task to annotate all the chapters
        of the Carman manuscript and Dr. Clemens received his
        advanced degree only on the annotation of about a third or
        less of the total number of chapters Carman produced.

        Again, welcome back!

        Very respectfully,
        Your humble and obdt. Servant,
        G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
        Private,
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field on which he has nobly laid down his
        ." --General Robert Edward Lee

        Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion!
        The current feature may be found at
        http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
        To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
        http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson,
        Canon or Lexmark
        the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
          Brian,

          Are you using any of the Mr.Sid accessory tools in viewing the LOC maps?
          If you have photoshop, you can download (free) a MrSid plugin, which allows
          you to download the whole map (all 14 of 'em), and then interactively
          zoom and pan all you like off-line. Very nice set of tools.

          I have had an on-again/off-again project for taking the Carman-Cope maps
          and bringing up to date with some new technology. Let me know if you
          want to 'talk shop'.

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          tlivesey@...
          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam

          PS - nice new look on the aotw site; I don't think I've taken a look at it for
          awhile.

          Brian Downey wrote:

          > On a related note, I have been delighting in the Carman-Cope maps of
          > the Battlefield at Antietam - the Atlas. The Library of Congress has
          > put them online, along with some pretty sophisticated viewing
          > software. The maps are very large (digitally speaking), but just
          > magnificently reproduced. I recommend a vist, if you haven't already
          > seen them, to:
          > http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))
          >
          > Because of the large scale of the maps, and the fine-grain detail,
          > they're impossible to see all at once on one computer screen, at least
          > at a legible magnification. So, I'm beginning work on versions of
          > these maps optimized for the Web using these LoC digital images with
          > symbols overlayed, and eventually interactively linked to more
          > information about units, individuals, etc. At my present rate,
          > though, this might take months or even years. For other computer geeks
          > out there, I'm learning a bit about Flash, which looks promising for
          > this project.
          >
          > Which brings me to some shameless promotion - I've had a website about
          > the battle going for some years, called Antietam on the Web (AotW),
          > but it's never been as complete or thorough or interesting or useful
          > as I'd like. I've recently found a new home/server, and done some
          > database and web programming to better present information I do have
          > assembled. I invite you to come take a look at http://aotw.org
          >
          > And ... if anyone has the time and inclination, I'm looking for help
          > in continuing to build and refine the AotW website in a number of ways
          > - actually hoping to build a communitiy of fellow enthusiasts who have
          > things to say about the Battle. I'll never be able to do it justice
          > alone. I've built some simple web tools members can use to contribute
          > directly on the site, online.
          >
          > AotW is an outlet and focus for my passion for the History, and is
          > strictly non-commercial. No fees, no advertising, no marketing, no
          > hidden agendae. I hope this doesn't look like spam!
          >
          > Anyway, it's good to be back, and I look forward to hearing from you
          > all. Thanks!
          >
          > Brian
          > bdowney@...

        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
            Hi Todd,

            Yes, I'm using the LoC provided MrSid viewer at home, but not the
            photoshop plugin. I'm a macromedia shop just now :)

            My approach to "optimizing" these for display on the Web is pretty low
            tech, really. My plan is to create a base map - a bitmap graphic - on
            the order of 500px square, for each of 3 or 4 major sections of the
            battlefield, and overlay vector-graphic symbols for the military units
            and other items of interest. [My first attempt at such a base map, in
            this case of the entire field and with text overlayed, is at
            http://aotw.org/overview.php%5d In Flash I can use these symbols as
            hyperlinks to narratives, unit and leader information, and other
            data-based material. I can also 'animate' the symbols from one time
            frame to the next to better show operations over the course of the
            day. Because most of the presentation uses small vector-mapped objects
            or is coming from the database on-demand, I ought to be able to keep
            the client-side "thin" and load times small. That's the plan, anyway.

            A couple of years ago I would not have seriously considered Flash - I
            was something of an HTML purist - but it looks like most web users
            have the Flash plugin now, and can readily use that kind of display.
            I'm a raw amateur in Flash to this point, however, so this might take
            a while!

            Thanks for asking, tho the rest of the group are probably bored to
            tears ... at the risk of making it worse, what's involved in your
            project? [Perhaps a moderator should step in and recommend we take
            this to email]

            Brian

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2003
              Brian,

              Very interesting.

              I'm actually working at a level higher--ideas that could be displayable
              on a web page, or could be a downloadable application, etc., but
              not specifically targeted for any particular medium. I am increasingly
              looking toward GPS (global positioning systems) applications. For example,
              you could download a map of the battlefield (showing troop positions
              at a certain time) onto your GPS unit, and then 'navigate' yourself
              around points of interest that would not otherwise be visible on
              the modern battlefield.

              What I am doing with the Cope maps is to capture the troop positions
              in terms of geographical coordinates (e.g. latitude & longitude, but
              I'm actually using a different coordinate system that has much finer
              resolution). Once such a database is built up, all kinds of things
              are possible. As is, the Cope maps are arranged chronologically:
              snapshots of troop positions taken at 14 points in time. It might
              be interesting to instead generate a map that shows the various positions
              of a certain unit (or set of units) across the entire day.

              I don't like using the Cope maps themselves as a base map, for
              a variety of reasons. I like to work in layers. There should
              be a layer that contains just the boundaries of the fields &
              features; there should be a layer containing the elevation (contour
              lines or whatever); there should be a layer that contains troop
              positions; a layer of labels and text, etc. For a given need,
              you produce the layers you are interested in. The Cope maps are
              a finished map, so all the layers flattened down, and the results
              can be quite cluttered; you can't get rid of the things you
              don't want to see. For example, it is usually desirable to
              show contour lines at an increment (e.g. every 20 feet, or every
              10 feet, etc.) appropriate for the scale of the map. If the
              increment is too small the lines overlap and overwhelm or obliterate
              the rest of the map. Since the contour lines are actually on
              the Cope map, it is not possible to substitute contours of a different
              increment.

              The other problem with the Cope maps is that they suffer from
              horizontal distortions. If you produced a modern map to the
              same scale and overlaid it and 1 of the Cope maps, you could
              get features close together to line up, but not ones far
              apart (you'd never be able to line up the Smoketown Road
              and Miller's Sawmill road). For an illustration, see
              http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/antietam/maps/background.html.
              This kind of detail may seem irrelevant for a web page. For
              other applications, however, it is critical. For example, people
              are increasingly starting to employ GPS
              technology to their field work. It would be desirable to be able
              to download these maps to a GPS unit. Because of the Cope
              maps horizontal distortions, it would not be suitable to download
              them to a GPS unit.

              This is not to say I don't like the Cope maps. Actually,
              I have a real set of my own. Not a repro, but an actual
              1904 volume. The thing is huge! You have not experienced
              these beautiful maps until you have browsed through a full
              sized copy.

              I have had for several years a nice, horizontally accurate
              database containing the base Antietam map (field boundaries
              and features as per 1862) and a nice digital 5 foot increment
              contour map. Once I have info on the troop positions, I'll
              be 1 step closer to something interesting.

              I have no experience with Flash. I am leaning more toward Java.
              If you are going to assume that people have the Flash plugin,
              I'd just as well assume they have the Java plugin, which
              is much more useful. If the browser was too confining, I'd
              just move to a download able Java application.

              At first glance, it does seem like we have wildly different
              approaches. Nonetheless, there ought to be a way to find some
              synergy.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
                Dang, Todd -

                Your project indeed sounds like it has excellent potential for use on
                the ground.

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, TR Livesey <tlivesey@w...> wrote:
                > Brian,
                >
                > Very interesting.
                >
                > I'm actually working at a level higher--ideas that could be
                displayable ... <snip>

                And yes, I think there might be some common threads between our
                approaches. I'd say our fundamental differences in approach are the
                result of our end-goals, but the two techniques might have some
                shareable elements.

                I'll get back to you by email, if that's ok, rather than bore the rest
                of the group with this topic.

                > This is not to say I don't like the Cope maps. Actually,
                > I have a real set of my own. Not a repro, but an actual
                > 1904 volume. The thing is huge! You have not experienced
                > these beautiful maps until you have browsed through a full
                > sized copy.

                This is fantastic! I'd love to have a copy, but haven't seen one for
                sale yet. How did you come upon yours, if I may ask?

                <more stuff snipped>

                > Regards,
                > TR Livesey
                > tlivesey@w...

                Brian
                email name: bdowney
                at
                domain: aotw.org
              • TR Livesey
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
                  Brian Downey wrote:

                  > > This is not to say I don't like the Cope maps. Actually,
                  > > I have a real set of my own. Not a repro, but an actual
                  > > 1904 volume. The thing is huge! You have not experienced
                  > > these beautiful maps until you have browsed through a full
                  > > sized copy.
                  > >

                  > This is fantastic! I'd love to have a copy, but haven't seen one for
                  > sale yet. How did you come upon yours, if I may ask?

                  Where else? All together class...EBAY!