effective use of artillery?

  • david lutton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      This past weekend, I was at the battlefield. It happened to be one of the "Artillery Weekends" which the park periodically sponsors. Hence the following question:

      Aside from counter-battery fire (the northern army always seems to excel at this), which army utilized its artillery in the most effective manner during the battle?

      I always assumed that Southern artillery although being inferior in calliber and numbers was the most effective of the two at Antietam. But I heard a myriad of opinions contrary to this on Sunday.

      Any thoughts out there?

      David Lutton]
      Hollidaysburg Pa