Re: What About a Movie Just on Antietam?

  • Willie Wonka
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 7:20 PM
      Somewhere I had heard that someone was making a movie about the Angel
      of Fredericksburg. Did that concept get tossed in the can as well?
      Is it out and I've missed it?

      I know Cold Mountain is coming out, though I find it highly ironic
      that in a so-called American Odyssey, two non-American actors play
      the main roles (Jude Law and Nicole Kidman). For those interested in
      other older historical movies, a remake of the Alamo is supposed to
      be released around the same time (Xmas, 2003) starring Dennis Quaid,
      Jason Patric, and Billy Bob Thorton. Also, some of you may have seen
      that new Tom Cruise movie advertised, The Last Samurai. He
      apparently plays an alcoholic Civil War vet who goes to Japan as a
      representative from Winchester gun company to train the emperor's
      troops. The movie's directed by Glory's Edward Zwick. Check
      www.upcomingmovies.com for all this and more on movies.

      These are big budget, big names films, though I'm not sure that
      Hollywood will balk on another Civil War movie b/c of the failure of
      G&G. If the story is good enough Hollywood will make it.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "teej@n..." <teej@n...> wrote:

      > Bill Christen wrote:
      >
      > <Snip>
      >
      > I agree with you that there is enough "true" history and emotion in
      the
      > Maryland
      > Campaign to make several movies...just find a better storyteller.
      >
      > Or even if someone wanted to do a movie just on the life of
      Jackson they
      > would be hard put to find a more interesting or dynamic subject.
      >
      > Two things Maxwell should have included in Gods and Generals
      were the
      > Angel of Marye's Heights in the Fredericksburg sequence and the
      animals in
      > the forest being driven by Jackson's men just before they hit the
      11th
      > Corps camp at Chancellorsville. Perhaps they seemed "too Hollywood"
      for
      > him. Instead he opted for that dopey scene of the silent exchange
      on the
      > Rappahannock and Chamberlin's endless speech before the attack on
      > Fredericksburg.
      >

      > > Can you give any more info on this magnum opus that's being
      bounced
      > > around???
      >
      > The longer version of the Antietam documentary is being transferred
      from
      > tape to
      > DVD (or some such format) and the final product has been delayed.
      The last I