RE: What About a Movie Just on Antietam?

  • teej@nc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2003
      Bill Christen wrote:

      <Snip>

      I agree with you that there is enough "true" history and emotion in the
      Maryland
      Campaign to make several movies...just find a better storyteller.

      Or even if someone wanted to do a movie just on the life of Jackson they
      would be hard put to find a more interesting or dynamic subject.

      Two things Maxwell should have included in Gods and Generals were the
      Angel of Marye's Heights in the Fredericksburg sequence and the animals in
      the forest being driven by Jackson's men just before they hit the 11th
      Corps camp at Chancellorsville. Perhaps they seemed "too Hollywood" for
      him. Instead he opted for that dopey scene of the silent exchange on the
      Rappahannock and Chamberlin's endless speech before the attack on
      Fredericksburg.

      > Can you give any more info on this magnum opus that's being bounced
      > around???

      The longer version of the Antietam documentary is being transferred from
      tape to
      DVD (or some such format) and the final product has been delayed. The last I
      heard was that it should be completed before the end of the year.

      The last I heard was the DVD of the movie just as it was in the theatres
      would be released in July and that there would be no long version which
      would include the Antietam scenes forthcoming at all.

      Regards,
      Teej

      Bill Christen

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Willie Wonka
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2003
        Somewhere I had heard that someone was making a movie about the Angel
        of Fredericksburg. Did that concept get tossed in the can as well?
        Is it out and I've missed it?

        I know Cold Mountain is coming out, though I find it highly ironic
        that in a so-called American Odyssey, two non-American actors play
        the main roles (Jude Law and Nicole Kidman). For those interested in
        other older historical movies, a remake of the Alamo is supposed to
        be released around the same time (Xmas, 2003) starring Dennis Quaid,
        Jason Patric, and Billy Bob Thorton. Also, some of you may have seen
        that new Tom Cruise movie advertised, The Last Samurai. He
        apparently plays an alcoholic Civil War vet who goes to Japan as a
        representative from Winchester gun company to train the emperor's
        troops. The movie's directed by Glory's Edward Zwick. Check
        www.upcomingmovies.com for all this and more on movies.

        These are big budget, big names films, though I'm not sure that
        Hollywood will balk on another Civil War movie b/c of the failure of
        G&G. If the story is good enough Hollywood will make it.