Re: What about a movie just on Antietam?

  • Willie Wonka
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2003
      I own a copy of the 1 hour documentary that they've shown at the
      Visitor's Center and was impressed with the video for what it was (and
      even used it in class a couple of times). I did not expect Hollywood
      whiz-bang stuff, but I especially enjoyed the use of re-enactors and
      the computer imagery showing the movement of certain regiments. Some
      of the shots of the experts walking around the park was a bit slow,
      dragging the momentum of the piece, but I thought the narration of
      JEJones really topped it off.

      However, that's not what I am talking about. I am thinking along the
      lines more of a Hollywood style movie, well written and directed in
      the style of Saving Private Ryan or Glory, with an attention to
      detail. I don't think it can be a slave to detail like G&G though
      because sometimes the langauge weighed it down. And after reading
      some of the criticism of the movie in the Civil War News (for
      instance, a horticulturist had written a letter criticisizing the
      improper usage of apples on the table in the Xmas scene - give me a
      break!), it seems Maxwell got caught up in the spirit of accuracy and
      forgot how to tell a good story - something Shaara didn't forget.

      Those are my thoughts. Sorry I hadn't expressed them more clearly.
      Can you give any more info on this magnum opus that's being bounced
      around???

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      <gwjchris@e...> wrote:

      > > From: "Willie Wonka" <corsair28@y...>
      > >
      > > I'm thinking a movie needs to be made about Antietam.
      >
      > Have you seen _Antietam...a Documentary" (by Media Magic) that is
      shown at
      > the parks Visitor center every day at noon? There is stall hope that a
      > four-hour version of this film will see the light of day by the end
      of the
      > year. Even the one hour version hits on many of the topics you
      mentioned. It
      > is available at the VC book store.
      >
      > Bill Christen
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2003
        Willie,

        There is at this time no major movie on line except Cold Mountain (due near
        Christmas) that will carry a Civil War story that I know of. With the
        failure of Gods & General at the box office, I seriously doubt we will see
        another Civil War movie for awhile. Last Full Measure sounds dead at the
        moment. Let's hope Cold Mountain is well done and does good box office.
        There was another movie done by Lion's Gate called Wicked Spring. It was
        directed by Kevin Hershberger but all the big plans for its release last
        year came to naught. All the clips of the movie I saw were excellent but it
        has disappeared out of sight.

        It would be nice if someone of Speilburg's or Tom Hank's caliber of
        directing and producing would do a Saving Private Ryan of Band of Brothers
        type movie or series following say a cast of characters of the Stonewall
        Brigade and the Iron Brigade through the war with the effects of the war on
        the people as well as the regiment as a whole. By the end of the war the
        Stonewall Brigade little resembled the nadir of its reputation from late
        1862 to early 63. But I think there would be some emotional attraction
        watching its story line as the brigade dissolved through the war from
        attrition in battle and decline in leadership during the last years of the
        war. Attention to the horrific and gory detail of battle(s) like it was in
        Band of Brothers should be a must. Maybe a Western Theater Band of Brothers
        so we are not so Easterncentric following say, Patrick Cleburne and his
        brigades and Union counterpart. Last part of the series to cover their
        reintroduction home and part of society again. It would have to be gritty
        and unsentimental. Be nice but I don't think anything is in the cards.

        Kevin
      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2003
          > From: "Willie Wonka" <corsair28@...>

          > ...I don't think it can be a slave to detail like G&G though...

          Willie,

          Disregarding the apples, the fact that _Silent Night_ was not popular in America
          as a "sing at home" carol, that none of the text on the building signs had "."'s
          after the phrases, none of the actresses had correct hair styles or clothing, or
          the room at Guinea Station was not represented correctly...Mawell claimed to be
          making "the most accurate movie." The above details would cost very little in
          production time or cost. His movie was so badly told (or edited) that even the
          best intentions would not save it. Despite a host of other inaccuracies, the
          basic fact is that Maxwell did not present a good cinematic story. Part of the
          problem was that the book was no _Killer Angels_!

          I recently heard of a "formula" for a successful movie based on a study of past
          movies. I do not recall the exact percentages, but it stated that there should be
          A% mystery, X % action, Y % humor, Z % romance, B % music or something to that
          effect. My guess is that Maxwell missed all the required figures.

          I agree with you that there is enough "true" history and emotion in the Maryland
          Campaign to make several movies...just find a better storyteller.

          > Can you give any more info on this magnum opus that's being bounced
          > around???

          The longer version of the Antietam documentary is being transferred from tape to
          DVD (or some such format) and the final product has been delayed. The last I
          heard was that it should be completed before the end of the year.

          Bill Christen