RE: [TalkAntietam] What about a movie just on Antietam?

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2003
      Willie,

      Well, if Brad Graham of Media Magic can ever finish the deal to sell his
      Antietam opus, that movie will be out though I doubt it will be a mass media
      like G-burg the Movie. If you have ever been to Antietam and the VC at noon
      you will have been able to see some of the footage Brad carved out for the
      park service. They sell the tape there too. Supposedly he has a deal with a
      PBS station to carry his movie, all done without major actors and shot with
      mostly appropriate body and age types for Union and Confederate soldiers.
      I'll dig around to see if I can find anything new. Bill C if you are one
      line, have you heard anything new about Brad's project?

      Kevin Rawlings
    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2003
        > From: "Willie Wonka" <corsair28@...>
        >
        > I'm thinking a movie needs to be made about Antietam.

        Have you seen _Antietam...a Documentary" (by Media Magic) that is shown at
        the parks Visitor center every day at noon? There is stall hope that a
        four-hour version of this film will see the light of day by the end of the
        year. Even the one hour version hits on many of the topics you mentioned. It
        is available at the VC book store.

        Bill Christen
      • Willie Wonka
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2003
          I own a copy of the 1 hour documentary that they've shown at the
          Visitor's Center and was impressed with the video for what it was (and
          even used it in class a couple of times). I did not expect Hollywood
          whiz-bang stuff, but I especially enjoyed the use of re-enactors and
          the computer imagery showing the movement of certain regiments. Some
          of the shots of the experts walking around the park was a bit slow,
          dragging the momentum of the piece, but I thought the narration of
          JEJones really topped it off.

          However, that's not what I am talking about. I am thinking along the
          lines more of a Hollywood style movie, well written and directed in
          the style of Saving Private Ryan or Glory, with an attention to
          detail. I don't think it can be a slave to detail like G&G though
          because sometimes the langauge weighed it down. And after reading
          some of the criticism of the movie in the Civil War News (for
          instance, a horticulturist had written a letter criticisizing the
          improper usage of apples on the table in the Xmas scene - give me a
          break!), it seems Maxwell got caught up in the spirit of accuracy and
          forgot how to tell a good story - something Shaara didn't forget.

          Those are my thoughts. Sorry I hadn't expressed them more clearly.
          Can you give any more info on this magnum opus that's being bounced
          around???

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          <gwjchris@e...> wrote:

          > > From: "Willie Wonka" <corsair28@y...>
          > >
          > > I'm thinking a movie needs to be made about Antietam.
          >
          > Have you seen _Antietam...a Documentary" (by Media Magic) that is
          shown at
          > the parks Visitor center every day at noon? There is stall hope that a
          > four-hour version of this film will see the light of day by the end
          of the
          > year. Even the one hour version hits on many of the topics you
          mentioned. It
          > is available at the VC book store.
          >
          > Bill Christen
        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2003
            Willie,

            There is at this time no major movie on line except Cold Mountain (due near
            Christmas) that will carry a Civil War story that I know of. With the
            failure of Gods & General at the box office, I seriously doubt we will see
            another Civil War movie for awhile. Last Full Measure sounds dead at the
            moment. Let's hope Cold Mountain is well done and does good box office.
            There was another movie done by Lion's Gate called Wicked Spring. It was
            directed by Kevin Hershberger but all the big plans for its release last
            year came to naught. All the clips of the movie I saw were excellent but it
            has disappeared out of sight.

            It would be nice if someone of Speilburg's or Tom Hank's caliber of
            directing and producing would do a Saving Private Ryan of Band of Brothers
            type movie or series following say a cast of characters of the Stonewall
            Brigade and the Iron Brigade through the war with the effects of the war on
            the people as well as the regiment as a whole. By the end of the war the
            Stonewall Brigade little resembled the nadir of its reputation from late
            1862 to early 63. But I think there would be some emotional attraction
            watching its story line as the brigade dissolved through the war from
            attrition in battle and decline in leadership during the last years of the
            war. Attention to the horrific and gory detail of battle(s) like it was in
            Band of Brothers should be a must. Maybe a Western Theater Band of Brothers
            so we are not so Easterncentric following say, Patrick Cleburne and his
            brigades and Union counterpart. Last part of the series to cover their
            reintroduction home and part of society again. It would have to be gritty
            and unsentimental. Be nice but I don't think anything is in the cards.

            Kevin
          • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2003
              > From: "Willie Wonka" <corsair28@...>

              > ...I don't think it can be a slave to detail like G&G though...

              Willie,

              Disregarding the apples, the fact that _Silent Night_ was not popular in America
              as a "sing at home" carol, that none of the text on the building signs had "."'s
              after the phrases, none of the actresses had correct hair styles or clothing, or
              the room at Guinea Station was not represented correctly...Mawell claimed to be
              making "the most accurate movie." The above details would cost very little in
              production time or cost. His movie was so badly told (or edited) that even the
              best intentions would not save it. Despite a host of other inaccuracies, the
              basic fact is that Maxwell did not present a good cinematic story. Part of the
              problem was that the book was no _Killer Angels_!

              I recently heard of a "formula" for a successful movie based on a study of past
              movies. I do not recall the exact percentages, but it stated that there should be
              A% mystery, X % action, Y % humor, Z % romance, B % music or something to that
              effect. My guess is that Maxwell missed all the required figures.

              I agree with you that there is enough "true" history and emotion in the Maryland
              Campaign to make several movies...just find a better storyteller.

              > Can you give any more info on this magnum opus that's being bounced
              > around???

              The longer version of the Antietam documentary is being transferred from tape to
              DVD (or some such format) and the final product has been delayed. The last I
              heard was that it should be completed before the end of the year.

              Bill Christen