Re: meaning of word "antietam"

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
      A few comments on the word Antietam may be found at the following web
      site, but it doesn't answer the word source question...

      http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PA-QUAKERS/2002-06/1024833515
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
        "There is a stream running through Washington County,
        Maryland, from the Pennsylvania line to the Potomac
        River, whose name will be famous as long as America
        endures, the placid Antietam.

        "It has been impossible to trace the meaning of its name,
        but tradition says tat it is of Indian origin. It is probably
        the name of an Indian chief, and in early times its musical
        syllables were spelled in various ways. We find it written
        "Anteatem," and oftener yet in the rather cannibalistic
        form of "Anti-Etem." It is a beautiful, wide stream,
        meandering slowly through a country of great beauty and
        interest. Sycamores lean their dappled trunks across it,
        and water willows mark its course with soft masses of
        grayish foliage while they hide it from view. A tangle of
        blackberries and wild roses, of papaws and hazel bushes,
        of elder and poisonous ivy, fringes its banks. Its waters
        are not sparkling; they often carry a large amount of muddy
        matter which gives the stream a thick and turgid appearance,
        and after heavy rains it will carry this earthy charge for
        days. But it is peacefully beautiful, and flows through one
        of the richest farming lands in America.

        - from "The Antietam and its Bridges" by Helen Ashe Hays, 1910

        Regards,
        TRL