Re: [TalkAntietam] meaning of word "antietam"

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2003
      I recall the meaning is explained in John Schildt's book. I believe book title is "Drums on the Antietam"? I have it and can check.

      Tom Shay
    • Scott Mingus
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
        A few comments on the word Antietam may be found at the following web
        site, but it doesn't answer the word source question...

        http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PA-QUAKERS/2002-06/1024833515
      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
          "There is a stream running through Washington County,
          Maryland, from the Pennsylvania line to the Potomac
          River, whose name will be famous as long as America
          endures, the placid Antietam.

          "It has been impossible to trace the meaning of its name,
          but tradition says tat it is of Indian origin. It is probably
          the name of an Indian chief, and in early times its musical
          syllables were spelled in various ways. We find it written
          "Anteatem," and oftener yet in the rather cannibalistic
          form of "Anti-Etem." It is a beautiful, wide stream,
          meandering slowly through a country of great beauty and
          interest. Sycamores lean their dappled trunks across it,
          and water willows mark its course with soft masses of
          grayish foliage while they hide it from view. A tangle of
          blackberries and wild roses, of papaws and hazel bushes,
          of elder and poisonous ivy, fringes its banks. Its waters
          are not sparkling; they often carry a large amount of muddy
          matter which gives the stream a thick and turgid appearance,
          and after heavy rains it will carry this earthy charge for
          days. But it is peacefully beautiful, and flows through one
          of the richest farming lands in America.

          - from "The Antietam and its Bridges" by Helen Ashe Hays, 1910

          Regards,
          TRL