Re: [TalkAntietam] meaning of word "antietam"

  • J Amico
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2003
      I could be wrong but I believe it means "meandering"
      creek.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22, 2003
        I recall the meaning is explained in John Schildt's book. I believe book title is "Drums on the Antietam"? I have it and can check.

        Tom Shay
      • Scott Mingus
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
          A few comments on the word Antietam may be found at the following web
          site, but it doesn't answer the word source question...

          http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PA-QUAKERS/2002-06/1024833515
        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2003
            "There is a stream running through Washington County,
            Maryland, from the Pennsylvania line to the Potomac
            River, whose name will be famous as long as America
            endures, the placid Antietam.

            "It has been impossible to trace the meaning of its name,
            but tradition says tat it is of Indian origin. It is probably
            the name of an Indian chief, and in early times its musical
            syllables were spelled in various ways. We find it written
            "Anteatem," and oftener yet in the rather cannibalistic
            form of "Anti-Etem." It is a beautiful, wide stream,
            meandering slowly through a country of great beauty and
            interest. Sycamores lean their dappled trunks across it,
            and water willows mark its course with soft masses of
            grayish foliage while they hide it from view. A tangle of
            blackberries and wild roses, of papaws and hazel bushes,
            of elder and poisonous ivy, fringes its banks. Its waters
            are not sparkling; they often carry a large amount of muddy
            matter which gives the stream a thick and turgid appearance,
            and after heavy rains it will carry this earthy charge for
            days. But it is peacefully beautiful, and flows through one
            of the richest farming lands in America.

            - from "The Antietam and its Bridges" by Helen Ashe Hays, 1910

            Regards,
            TRL