meaning of word "antietam"

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21 6:12 PM
      Hi folks,

      I got some great help from you all a few years back on this question,
      but I can't get into my email archives. Please pick your brains and
      help we on this will you?

      I had an email correspondant ask the source of the word 'antietam'. I
      remember it being a local Indian word, perhaps describing the
      characteristics of the creek it names.

      Anybody?

      THanks,

      Brian
    • J Amico
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22 5:39 AM
        I could be wrong but I believe it means "meandering"
        creek.

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22 6:26 AM
          I recall the meaning is explained in John Schildt's book. I believe book title is "Drums on the Antietam"? I have it and can check.

          Tom Shay
        • Scott Mingus
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24 7:44 AM
            A few comments on the word Antietam may be found at the following web
            site, but it doesn't answer the word source question...

            http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/PA-QUAKERS/2002-06/1024833515
          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24 7:43 PM
              "There is a stream running through Washington County,
              Maryland, from the Pennsylvania line to the Potomac
              River, whose name will be famous as long as America
              endures, the placid Antietam.

              "It has been impossible to trace the meaning of its name,
              but tradition says tat it is of Indian origin. It is probably
              the name of an Indian chief, and in early times its musical
              syllables were spelled in various ways. We find it written
              "Anteatem," and oftener yet in the rather cannibalistic
              form of "Anti-Etem." It is a beautiful, wide stream,
              meandering slowly through a country of great beauty and
              interest. Sycamores lean their dappled trunks across it,
              and water willows mark its course with soft masses of
              grayish foliage while they hide it from view. A tangle of
              blackberries and wild roses, of papaws and hazel bushes,
              of elder and poisonous ivy, fringes its banks. Its waters
              are not sparkling; they often carry a large amount of muddy
              matter which gives the stream a thick and turgid appearance,
              and after heavy rains it will carry this earthy charge for
              days. But it is peacefully beautiful, and flows through one
              of the richest farming lands in America.

              - from "The Antietam and its Bridges" by Helen Ashe Hays, 1910

              Regards,
              TRL