Antietam schedule March 2003

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 3:44 PM
      I have received Antietam's "tentative" schedule for 2003.
      It is expected to be formally approved and posted by Monday.

      Meanwhile, here are the March 2003 events (they are definite) ......

      March 15th & 16th (Saturday & Sunday)
      Battlefield Hike:The Irish Brigade At Antietam
      A Ranger led hike of the Battlefield that will discuss the attack
      of the Irish Brigade on the Confederate held, Sunken Road. The
      hike will begin at 1 P.M. at the Visitor Center and will conclude
      at approximately 3:30 P.M. near the Sunken Road on both days.
      The length of the hike is just over 2 miles.

      March 23rd (Sunday)
      Battlefield Hike-Nicodemus Heights & Confederate Artillery
      A Ranger led hike of this rarely visited area of the field that
      will focus on the Confederate Artillery during the morning
      hours of the battle. The hike will begin and conclude at Tour
      Stop 2, North Woods. The program will begin at 1 P.M. and
      will conclude at approximately 3:30 P.M. The length of the
      hike is 3 miles.

      March 29 Park Day 2003 (Saturday)
      Antietam National Battlefield is calling for volunteers to
      participate in Park Day, an annual hands-on preservation
      event created by the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT).
      The purpose of Park Day is to help local communities
      maintain and restore their Civil War-related battlefields,
      cemeteries, and shrines. Volunteers interested in donating
      their time and talents at Antietam National Battlefield are
      encouraged to meet at the Visitor Center at 9:00 A.M.
      This year's projects will consist of planting trees in the
      historic North Woods and planting apple trees in the
      historic Piper Orchard. In exchange for their hard work,
      volunteers will receive t-shirts and have an opportunity to
      learn about the significance of the sites. For more
      information about Park Day 2003 at Antietam National
      Battlefield, contact either Debbie Cohen or Ed Wenschhof
      at 301-432-6236.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

    • david lutton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6 4:45 PM

        Thanks for the post. The March 23rd hike sounds interesting.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6 5:49 PM

          Will you keep me posted, privately if you wish, about the
          developments, etc. from the IB hike?

          Hope you and family are enjoying the winter...........
          Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble and obdt. servant,
          G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
          Private,
          Nelson's Signal Company,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field on which he has nobly laid down his
          ." --General Robert Edward Lee

          Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion!
          The current feature may be found at
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
          To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel