Antietam Samaritan

  • Curt Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2003
      Today's Civil War Page of the Washington Times contains an interesting article on the heretofore unknown citizen who brought food to Graham's Battery at the Sunken Road and carried-off his wounded--all under a heavy fire of artillery. See:

      http://www.washtimes.com/civilwar/

      "But what good came of it at last?"
      Quoth little Peterkin.
      "Why that I cannot tell," said he,
      "But `twas a famous victory."

      -- Robert Southey, "The Battle of Blenheim"

    • david lutton
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
        Curt,

        Thanks for the interesting post on the "Samaritan." Its the first time I
        heard the story.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
          David,

          I think, IIRC, Mike Priest has it in his book on the battle
          as does again, IIRC, TimeLife books installment on
          Antietam...and possibly the TimeLife Voices of the Civil War
          Antietam volume.

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble and obdt. servant,
          G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
          Private,
          Nelson's Signal Company,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field on which he has nobly laid down his
          ." --General Robert Edward Lee

          Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion!
          The current feature may be found at
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
          To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Curt
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2003
            David,
            You're welcome. I knew of the incident from Graham's reports, but I did not know the details, as provided by Mr. Clem in his excellent article. The Civil War Page is a fine feature of the Washington Times.