Re: [TalkAntietam] Hartwig's talk on Iron Brigade

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2003
      dunkerch@... writes:
      > If I may, did Scott touch on Battery B's participation in the cornfield
      > action?

      David,

      Indeed, Scott did mention the battery, but nothing beyond the standard
      history as told by Sears and other authors. He noted the battery deployed on
      a rise near Miller Farm and then Stewart's section was ordered forward to the
      next rise (to the astonishment of the gunners, as that spot was amid the
      infantry firefight). The forward position is where the guns sit today. As the
      Rebs approached the section, they began preparing to limber. Gibbon saw this
      and ordered them to continue firing (he realized the Reb would shoot the
      horses and their retreat was doomed). Scott recounted their use of
      double-canister and Gibbon's adjusting of the gun (alas, no mention of
      MOH-winnner Johnny Cook).

      I'm sure you await Scott's book with as much eagerness as I do!