Re: [TalkAntietam] Hartwig's talk on Iron Brigade

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7 6:50 AM

      Great post about Scott's talk. However, the time of when the
      Iron Brigade began advancing seems a little odd to me,
      particularly when most accounts state the Federal advance
      began at first light, which would be between 5.30 and 6.00
      am.... South Mountain is the largest geographical block to
      the sun in the morning in that area, as you well know.

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble and obdt. servant,
      G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
      Private,
      Nelson's Signal Company,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
      field on which he has nobly laid down his
      ." --General Robert Edward Lee

      Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion!
      The current feature may be found at
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
      To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7 7:17 AM
        In a message dated 02/07/2003 9:52:11 AM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
        << However, the time of when the Iron Brigade began advancing seems a little
        odd to me, particularly when most accounts state the Federal advance
        began at first light, which would be between 5.30 and 6.00 am. >>

        Perhaps he meant that they began their hurried assembly into formation at
        that time and not necesarily took their first steps towards the south? Scott
        noted that when the troops encamped, they had no idea as to their surrounding
        geography. The troops were wet but so exhausted that many references comment
        on their deep sleep. Their early awakening was initiated by officers who were
        notified that Reb batteries were spotted on Nicodemus Hts and they were
        in-range.

        FYI..for the past 8+ years, I've parked at the Cornfield around 6 AM and
        walked along the pike to the North Woods to join the 7 AM anniversary hikes.
        I recall that one can see fairly well by 6:30 AM (if there is no fog), so
        wouldn't be 5:30 AM in 1862 timekeeping?

        Of course we all know that any time references to hours/minutes during battle
        are commonly inaccurate.

        Tom Shay
      • david lutton
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7 4:50 PM

          The time question aside. If I may, did Scott touch on Battery B's
          participation in the cornfield action?

          David Lutton
          Hollidaysburg Pa

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7 7:27 PM
            dunkerch@... writes:
            > If I may, did Scott touch on Battery B's participation in the cornfield
            > action?

            David,

            Indeed, Scott did mention the battery, but nothing beyond the standard
            history as told by Sears and other authors. He noted the battery deployed on
            a rise near Miller Farm and then Stewart's section was ordered forward to the
            next rise (to the astonishment of the gunners, as that spot was amid the
            infantry firefight). The forward position is where the guns sit today. As the
            Rebs approached the section, they began preparing to limber. Gibbon saw this
            and ordered them to continue firing (he realized the Reb would shoot the
            horses and their retreat was doomed). Scott recounted their use of
            double-canister and Gibbon's adjusting of the gun (alas, no mention of
            MOH-winnner Johnny Cook).

            I'm sure you await Scott's book with as much eagerness as I do!