Re: [TalkAntietam] Hartwig's talk on Iron Brigade

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2003
      In a message dated 02/05/2003 9:24:00 PM EST, clemens@... writes:
      << Scott is indeed writing a multi-volume work on the Maryland Campaign and
      some of the Eastern PA folks have read drafts. >>

      Great news to hear!

      As time permits, I'll post some additional notes from Scott's recent talk.

      The Iron Brigade brigade advanced in Closed Columns By Division at about 4:45
      AM as the first streaks of daylight appeared. He stated the corn was 7-8 feet
      high. As the men began their firefight at south end of the Cornfield, Union
      artillery (from across creek) began falling short and caused the 6 WI plenty
      of casualties

      One part of the talk that I found interesting was his details on the
      deployment and advance of the Iron Brigade's skirmish line. The skirimish
      line was divided into two sections.He criticized the section that was
      commanded by a Captain Hoo (Scott pronounced it 'hoo' so my spelling is
      likely way off). He noted that this section failed to aggressively advance
      and it's poor performance stood out in comparison with the rest of the
      Brigade's men.

      The other skirmish section (under Captain Kellogg) did outstanding work.
      After the Cornfield fight and Hood's attack, the remnants of Iron Brigade
      rallied to the north. Kellogg pulled together a bunch of stragglers.
      Doubleday (division commander) rode up and asked what regiment this was.
      Kellogg replied that it was men of several regiments. When Doubleday
      commended what he assumed were men of Wisconsin; Kellogg corrected him and
      stated these are not Wisconsin men, as Wisconsin men never run.

      Scott noted the quality of men in the Iron Brigade can be seen in the
      extremely low number of men missing just four weeks after Antietam.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2003

        Great post about Scott's talk. However, the time of when the
        Iron Brigade began advancing seems a little odd to me,
        particularly when most accounts state the Federal advance
        began at first light, which would be between 5.30 and 6.00
        am.... South Mountain is the largest geographical block to
        the sun in the morning in that area, as you well know.

        Very respectfully,
        Your humble and obdt. servant,
        G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
        Private,
        Nelson's Signal Company,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field on which he has nobly laid down his
        ." --General Robert Edward Lee

        Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion!
        The current feature may be found at
        http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
        To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
        http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel
      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2003
          In a message dated 02/07/2003 9:52:11 AM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
          << However, the time of when the Iron Brigade began advancing seems a little
          odd to me, particularly when most accounts state the Federal advance
          began at first light, which would be between 5.30 and 6.00 am. >>

          Perhaps he meant that they began their hurried assembly into formation at
          that time and not necesarily took their first steps towards the south? Scott
          noted that when the troops encamped, they had no idea as to their surrounding
          geography. The troops were wet but so exhausted that many references comment
          on their deep sleep. Their early awakening was initiated by officers who were
          notified that Reb batteries were spotted on Nicodemus Hts and they were
          in-range.

          FYI..for the past 8+ years, I've parked at the Cornfield around 6 AM and
          walked along the pike to the North Woods to join the 7 AM anniversary hikes.
          I recall that one can see fairly well by 6:30 AM (if there is no fog), so
          wouldn't be 5:30 AM in 1862 timekeeping?

          Of course we all know that any time references to hours/minutes during battle
          are commonly inaccurate.

          Tom Shay
        • david lutton
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2003

            The time question aside. If I may, did Scott touch on Battery B's
            participation in the cornfield action?

            David Lutton
            Hollidaysburg Pa

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2003
              dunkerch@... writes:
              > If I may, did Scott touch on Battery B's participation in the cornfield
              > action?

              David,

              Indeed, Scott did mention the battery, but nothing beyond the standard
              history as told by Sears and other authors. He noted the battery deployed on
              a rise near Miller Farm and then Stewart's section was ordered forward to the
              next rise (to the astonishment of the gunners, as that spot was amid the
              infantry firefight). The forward position is where the guns sit today. As the
              Rebs approached the section, they began preparing to limber. Gibbon saw this
              and ordered them to continue firing (he realized the Reb would shoot the
              horses and their retreat was doomed). Scott recounted their use of
              double-canister and Gibbon's adjusting of the gun (alas, no mention of
              MOH-winnner Johnny Cook).

              I'm sure you await Scott's book with as much eagerness as I do!