Volunteers needed to replant North Woods

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
      PRESS RELEASE:

      A Call For Volunteers to Help Replant The North Woods

      (Sharpsburg, MD) Beginning this spring of 2003, Antietam National
      Battlefield will begin reforesting a new 12-acre section of the North
      Woods. A major part of this effort includes the planting of
      approximately 150 Balled and Burlapped trees. The Division of Natural
      Resources is requesting the help of volunteers to ensure that all of the
      trees will be planted this spring.

      The project is planned to begin the second week in April and should be
      completed by Saturday, May 10. Planting will take place Tuesday through
      Saturday, preferably in the morning. Each tree will be nursery size
      including Red and White Oaks, Tulip Poplars and Redbuds. The holes for
      each tree will be pre-dug, so the duty of the volunteer will be too
      properly plant the tree in the hole. Because of the fairly large size of
      the trees, adult assistance/supervision will be necessary.

      If you are interested in volunteering for this project or have any
      questions, please contact Michelle Clements in the Division of Natural
      Resources at 301.432.6236.

      <A HREF="http://www.nps.gov/anti/Press_Re34.htm">URL</A> is:
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/Press_Re34.htm

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003

        At last night's SHAF meeting we voted to make the April kick off date SHAF's
        semi annual park work day. Please join us if you are a mind to. Also SHAF
        will be leading a tour for SHAF membership of our signal tower site on March
        8th, weather permitting, and rain date of March 15th.

        Sincerely,
        Kevin Rawlings
      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
          Tom Shay,
          You beat me to the punch. SHAF is planning to help out with this
          and is putting out a call for strong backs and weak minds (yours truly
          heading the list) to be there on 4/12. It should be a lot of fun. Also
          SHAF is sponsoring a hike to the top of Signal Hill, as we call it, the
          site we purchased last year with your money. the view is tremendous,
          date is set for March 8, 10:00 in Visiror Center parking lot. Weather
          permitting of course and message me for questions and attendance.
          Tom Clemens