Question

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 28, 2003
      Does anyone know if a book or article has been written on the Southern
      Historical Society?

      Ray
    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 26, 2004
        Has anyone read "Burnside's Bridge" by Philip Thomas Tucker?

        James2044
      • justin_heinzen10
        Message 3 of 30 , May 3 3:27 AM
          do you mean the one by john cannon????
        • James W. Durney
          Message 4 of 30 , May 27 12:38 PM
            What is the "best book" on this battle?
          • tangogee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , May 27 1:02 PM
              JWD2044@... writes:

              What is the "best book" on this battle?

              A bit like asking how long is a piece of string ;-)

              I like Sears, Priest and murfin all about the same.

              Granville

            • jdpolaski@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , May 27 2:40 PM
                There is another book called Antietam, by William A. Frassanito which is a
                pretty good book also.

                Message 7 of 30 , May 27 2:50 PM
                  I hope you are all in deep admiration of my self-restraint.

                  I recommend Sears. (sigh)

                  Richard Croker

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 27 2:58 PM
                    As far a as a general 'who-shot-who', I would recommend Sears'
                    "Landscape Turned Red" for a first-timer. James Murphin's "Gleam of
                    Bayonets" pre-dates Sears and is thought by some to be more
                    historically accurate, but Sears is a better read IMHO. Sears also
                    covers more of the battle than Murfin. But certainly read Murfin next.

                    That said, I've been thinking about raising this question for a while.
                    Some have said that they feel Sears gets some things wrong in his book.
                    Would anyone care to share where they think he went wrong? Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    On Sunday, May 27, 2007, at 03:38 PM, James W. Durney wrote:

                    > What is the "best book" on this battle?

                  • Tom Shay
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 27 6:50 PM
                      I'm sure Stephen Recker and other Antietam guides are routinely asked that question. Indeed, during last weekend's visit to Antietam, many members of the Gettysburg CWRT asked for book suggestions.

                      For a detailed explanation of the Maryland Campaign, South Mtn and Antietam, Sears' LANDSCAPE TURNED RED is a good choice.

                      The best and most thought-provoking history of the Maryland Campaignn is Joe Harsh's TAKEN AT THE FLOOD, albeit from Lee's prespective.

                      James Murfin's "Gleam of Bayonets" runs a decent second place to both above books.

                      The forthcoming publication of Ezra Carman's battle history will provide a long-needed detailed tactical study of the battle itself.

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 28 1:35 PM
                        It depends on what you are looking for. Strategically the :best:
                        book I have read is Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood. Tactically,
                        the best is Jim Murfin's Gleam of Bayonets.

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 28 1:37 PM
                          Dear Richard,

                          IMHO Sears is not as good as Murfin. Sears' great hindrance to
                          Landscape Turned Red, and IMHO it shows, is he never once set
                          foot on the actual terrain while writing the book. Murfin, on the
                          other hand, was intimately familiar with all the terrain features
                          of the field of battle...and it shows in his book.

                        • richard@rcroker.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 28 3:23 PM
                            I was astounded when I wrote No Greater Courage...The very first time I ever went to Fredericksburg, Donald Pfanz (staff historian) told me he was already impressed with my research. I had only just begun, so I asked why -- He said, "Because you're here. People write books about this fight and never bother to show up."

                            It was a little tough for me, living in Atlanta (I should have picked different battles I guess), but six trips to Sharpsburg and four to Fredericksburg and I had at least a feel for the lay of the land.

                            I used Murfin and Sears (and about a dozen others) but without Landscape Turned Red (and significant help from Ted and Walter), I would have been lost in terms of what happened when. Sears is a decent writer -- more than can be said for a great many minutiae hunters.

                            Richard

                            >I hope you are all in deep admiration of my self-restraint.
                            >
                            > I recommend Sears. (sigh)
                            >
                            > Richard Croker

                          • James W. Durney
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 29 8:07 AM
                              No one has mentioned Priest's book on the battle. The first Antietam
                              book I read was Sears' book, somehow it left me with a very bad
                              impression of the battle. Years later, I picked up the Preist book and
                              found a different view, which lead me to Harsh's work. I know Priest
                              has been savaged for his South Mt. battle book by some people.
                              However, I would like to know why his Antietam book has been left off
                              every list.

                              James
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 29 8:12 AM
                                James,

                                Priest is good also, but a lot of what he writes or cites is just
                                plain wrong.... There are many instances of his citations being
                                wrong or incorrect.

                                He also can be very confusing to read..............

                                Message 15 of 30 , May 29 7:18 PM
                                  Having read Sears, as much as Priet as I could wade through, and
                                  Harsh, I favor Harsh. I think if you are going to read Harsh it is
                                  helpful to Read Confederate Tide Rising as well as Taken at the Flood.
                                  I believe he meant them to be one work. Of all the books mentioned,
                                  Sears has by far the best maps, not a small consideration.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 29 7:59 PM
                                    Dear Stephen,

                                    Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.

                                    However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
                                    of Bayonets.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 30 9:40 AM
                                      I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'. Priest's
                                      maps are better than Sears'.

                                      The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of course, is
                                      in a class of its own.

                                      TRL

                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 30 9:42 AM
                                        Dear Todd,

                                        IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

                                        I agree with Gerry: Murfin's maps are better than Sears'.
                                        Priest's
                                        maps are better than Sears'.

                                        The Carman-Cope "Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam", of
                                        course, is
                                        in a class of its own.

                                        TRL

                                        > Dear Stephen,
                                        >
                                        > Your point about Harsh is definitely well taken.
                                        >
                                        > However, Sears' maps are not as good as those in Murfin's Gleam
                                        > of Bayonets.

                                        > from

                                      • T. R. Livesey
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 30 10:36 AM

                                          In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
                                          James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
                                          of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
                                          use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
                                          There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
                                          shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
                                          been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

                                          Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
                                          I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
                                          similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
                                          of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

                                          From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                                          challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                                          expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                                          maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                                          really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
                                          in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
                                          the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                                          How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
                                          a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
                                          important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                                          clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
                                          to look at and readers are drawn to them.

                                          The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
                                          use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
                                          whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
                                          map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
                                          makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
                                          of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
                                          necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
                                          these others.

                                          TRL

                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 30 10:44 AM
                                            Thanks Todd.

                                            BTW the Trailhead Graphics map of Antietam is simply superb...
                                            but unfortunately not possible to put in a book.

[...]

                                            From my experience, including elevation markings is always a

                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 30 11:34 AM
                                              TR,
                                              I couldn't agree more! The P&H map is the base map of the Carman/Cope maps, but they do indeed leave out the elevation markings. Great if you want to know crops types, fences, etc. but not good for understanding the battle. Preist used this map, but the whole thing never appears in the book so if you don't know the field to begin with, you'll be lost like a hiccup in a hurricane. Also he used some odd symbols for artillery, etc.
                                              Tom Clemen

                                              >>> "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...> 05/30/07 1:36 PM >>>

                                              Gerry,

                                              In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
                                              James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a revision
                                              of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps, but
                                              use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale reproduction.
                                              There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the other
                                              shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines have
                                              been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their usefulness.

                                              Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base, which
                                              I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that are
                                              similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the history
                                              of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

                                              From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                                              challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                                              expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                                              maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                                              really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For example,
                                              in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot appreciate
                                              the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                                              How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I think
                                              a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is more
                                              important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                                              clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically pleasing
                                              to look at and readers are drawn to them.

                                              The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines is to
                                              use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
                                              whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History Association
                                              map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
                                              makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the authors
                                              of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
                                              necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any of
                                              these others.

                                              TRL

                                              > Dear Todd,
                                              >
                                              > IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

                                            • James W. Durney
                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 30 5:11 PM
                                                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
                                                > challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
                                                > expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up with
                                                > maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
                                                > really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For
                                                example,
                                                > in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot
                                                appreciate
                                                > the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get `lost'?
                                                > How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I
                                                think
                                                > a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is
                                                more
                                                > important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
                                                > clover, etc.).

                                                I think Anitetam cannot be understood w/o elevation markings. My
                                                first chance to walk the battlefield was a revelation that I will
                                                never forget. Neither Sears, Priest or Harsh had told me how much
                                                elevation impacts the battle.

                                                James
                                              • T. R. Livesey
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 30 6:26 PM
                                                  Murfin's maps also suffer somewhat from the problem that there is no
                                                  image of the whole battlefield, making orientation difficult. Since I
                                                  owned a copy of the Parks and History Association map before I read
                                                  any of these books, I never really had a problem with orientation.

                                                  While it is certainly not the 'best' book (at least not for an overall
                                                  introduction to the battle), Luvaas & Nelson's "US Army War College
                                                  Guide to the Battle of Antietam" is worthy of mention, particularly
                                                  for actually visiting the battlefield and related sites at S Mountain
                                                  and Harper's Ferry. Definitely the best driving directions for getting
                                                  around S Mountain. Whenever I take visitor's to the battlefield, I
                                                  always take the route that they suggest: start at the Pry House, then
                                                  to the Keedysville road, over the little Antietam, past Pry's Mill,
                                                  over the upper bridge, down the Smoketown road into the east woods.
                                                  Not only does it take you past fields, roads and houses that look like
                                                  they haven't changed much since 1862, but it also gives a good sense
                                                  the kind of ground in the area. And, there will be no other tourists
                                                  entering the battlefield from that route. At first glance their maps
                                                  are somewhat primitive, but they do show contour lines, which in my
                                                  opinion makes them far more useful than the maps in the other three.
                                                  Cute symbols for corn and clover and stubble are cool but they just
                                                  don't work when the map is reduced to book page size. Also
                                                  indispensable if you are using the map while visiting the battlefield
                                                  is the inclusion of modern features (e.g. roads, structures and tour
                                                  stops) so that you can figure out where you are in relation to the
                                                  historical features. None of the big three's maps show modern
                                                  features, but the Luvaas & Nelson maps do. It's too bad that Luvaas &
                                                  Nelson only did little map segments at Antietam to illustrate the
                                                  portions of ground they study instead of producing a whole battlefield
                                                  map because I think they had the right idea given the limitations of
                                                  maps that appear in a book. Their map of the Harper's Ferry area is great.

                                                  TRL

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                                                    Anyone know anything about this fellow? Thanks.

                                                    Stephen Recker
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                                                      Stephen,

                                                      What other information do you have about his unit?

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 1, 2007
                                                        I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                                                        some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                                                        Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                                                        Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                                                        the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                                        Stephen Recker
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                                                          Steve,
                                                          1st lt. James E. March mustered in with te regiment, mustered out
                                                          10/27/1864 on expiration of service, was "recommissioned from civil
                                                          life" 12/1/1864. Offical Army Register, Vol. I, p. 200.

                                                          Tom Clemens

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 2, 2007
                                                            Steve,
                                                            The only message recorded as sent by Jackson to Lee on the 15th was the
                                                            announcement of the surrender of HF. In that message, OR, Vol. 19, pt.
                                                            1, p. 951, he asks Lee where to send his troops. If there is something
                                                            else I don't know of it, and neither does Joe Harsh, who discusses it in
                                                            Sounding the Shallows, Chap. 8, section L.

                                                            I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that Stonewall Jackson,
                                                            some time around the morning of September 15th, wrote Lee from Harper's
                                                            Ferry that, "I will meet you in Sharpsburg". Can't find the cite.
                                                            Actually can only find Stonewall asking Lee where he should go after
                                                            the fall of HF. Any thoughts? Thanks.

                                                            Stephen Recker
                                                          • joseph_pierro
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 23, 2007
                                                              Having just joined the group, I realize I'm coming into this
                                                              discussion a tad late (so please forgive).

                                                              For anyone interested in a broad study of the entire campaign at the
                                                              operational level, I'd recommend Harsh as a good first start.

                                                              If the tactical mechanics of Antietam itself are more your concern,
                                                              I'd recommend either Murfin or Sears.

                                                              Mike Priest's books contain a good deal of "color" from soldiers in
                                                              the ranks; his "big picture" can be a bit difficult to follow if you
                                                              are not already well versed on the basics of the battle.

                                                              The Ezra Carman manuscript is incredibly detailed (imagine Sears or
                                                              Murfin, but on a regimental level-focus instead of brigade or
                                                              division). Wonderful for later study, but not a place I would
                                                              recommend someone to start their investigation. (It's similar in
                                                              that regard to Bigelow's "Campaign of Chancellorsville," if you are
                                                              familiar with that massive study.)

                                                              As for maps, Murfin's are quite good, and are baszed off of the
                                                              original Carman Atlas of Antietam. It's long out of print, but the
                                                              Library of Congress was recently scanned it in in its entirety as
                                                              part of its "American Memory" digital archive. I don;t have the link
                                                              to hand -- I'm writing this from the road-- but if you search Carman
                                                              and Antietam in American Memory, you'll get teh link for the Atlas.
                                                              Best of all, the map reading software--which you can download for
                                                              free--allows you to zoom as tight as you might want in crystal clear
                                                              resolution).

                                                              -- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Oct 6, 2007
                                                                A friend on another list pointed out that Isaac Wistar's memoirs mention
                                                                going to Keedysville after he was wounded and being treated at a
                                                                shopkeeper's house where other 71st PA officers were also treated. The
                                                                shopkeeper, accordnig to Wistar, was killed by a stray shot. has anyone
                                                                ever heard this story before? It is not in O.T. Reilly's book, or other
                                                                accounts I have seen. Any data?