Re: [TalkAntietam] 51st GA (Drayton's Brigade)

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
      In a message dated 12/13/2002 0:29:24 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
      << I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ... >>

      If you can get a plug in for SHAF, then the show will have been a success!

      Tom Shay - SHAF member
    • Scott Mingus <scottmingus@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
        William Slaughter's picture appears at
        http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2757/issues/georgia.htm

        However, I find no record that the man was with the regiment at
        Antietam.

        Part of the reason I asked is that on one of my Gettysburg message
        boards, we had a debate a while back regarding Ed Ball and whether or
        not he commanded the 51st at Gettysburg. Apparently this particular
        regiment did not keep detailed records. Ball appears to have missed
        Gettysburg (then serving as Colonel after Slaughter's death) but
        rejoined the regiment later that summer. In researching the history
        of this regiment as part of the Gettysburg controversy, I found that
        Slaughter does not appear on any OOB, and is not listed in the OR as
        being in command during the Maryland Campaign.

        Scott