Re: [TalkAntietam] 51st GA (Drayton's Brigade)

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
      Curt Johnson wrote:

      >Tony, Scott,
      >Makes sense to me after running-down all the field officers of the 51st
      >listed by Krick. Slaughter was MWIA at Chancellorsville. A check of
      >Carman's OB may prove definitive.
      >Curt

      Neither Carman nor Joe Harsh in Sounding the Shalllows provide a name.
      If Slaughter was there one would think he would ne named, but maybe not.

      BTW, Brian Pohanka and I will be on C-Span Monday night 8 - 10 talking
      about Antietam, both the recent reenactment and the actual battle. They
      will air footage, which I have not seen, and have a live call-in
      session. I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ...

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
        In a message dated 12/13/2002 0:29:24 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
        << I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ... >>

        If you can get a plug in for SHAF, then the show will have been a success!

        Tom Shay - SHAF member
      • Scott Mingus <scottmingus@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
          William Slaughter's picture appears at
          http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2757/issues/georgia.htm

          However, I find no record that the man was with the regiment at
          Antietam.

          Part of the reason I asked is that on one of my Gettysburg message
          boards, we had a debate a while back regarding Ed Ball and whether or
          not he commanded the 51st at Gettysburg. Apparently this particular
          regiment did not keep detailed records. Ball appears to have missed
          Gettysburg (then serving as Colonel after Slaughter's death) but
          rejoined the regiment later that summer. In researching the history
          of this regiment as part of the Gettysburg controversy, I found that
          Slaughter does not appear on any OOB, and is not listed in the OR as
          being in command during the Maryland Campaign.

          Scott