Re: [TalkAntietam] 51st GA (Drayton's Brigade)

  • Curt Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
      Tony, Scott,
      Makes sense to me after running-down all the field officers of the 51st
      listed by Krick. Slaughter was MWIA at Chancellorsville. A check of
      Carman's OB may prove definitive.
      Curt

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
        Curt Johnson wrote:

        >Tony, Scott,
        >Makes sense to me after running-down all the field officers of the 51st
        >listed by Krick. Slaughter was MWIA at Chancellorsville. A check of
        >Carman's OB may prove definitive.
        >Curt

        Neither Carman nor Joe Harsh in Sounding the Shalllows provide a name.
        If Slaughter was there one would think he would ne named, but maybe not.

        BTW, Brian Pohanka and I will be on C-Span Monday night 8 - 10 talking
        about Antietam, both the recent reenactment and the actual battle. They
        will air footage, which I have not seen, and have a live call-in
        session. I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ...

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
          In a message dated 12/13/2002 0:29:24 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
          << I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ... >>

          If you can get a plug in for SHAF, then the show will have been a success!

          Tom Shay - SHAF member
        • Scott Mingus <scottmingus@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
            William Slaughter's picture appears at
            http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2757/issues/georgia.htm

            However, I find no record that the man was with the regiment at
            Antietam.

            Part of the reason I asked is that on one of my Gettysburg message
            boards, we had a debate a while back regarding Ed Ball and whether or
            not he commanded the 51st at Gettysburg. Apparently this particular
            regiment did not keep detailed records. Ball appears to have missed
            Gettysburg (then serving as Colonel after Slaughter's death) but
            rejoined the regiment later that summer. In researching the history
            of this regiment as part of the Gettysburg controversy, I found that
            Slaughter does not appear on any OOB, and is not listed in the OR as
            being in command during the Maryland Campaign.

            Scott