51st GA (Drayton's Brigade)

  • Scott Mingus <scottmingus@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
      In many OOBs that I have seen, the tactical commander of this
      regiment is not names. Has anyone ever seen documentation of who
      commanded this regiment at Sharpsburg and South Mountain?

      Scott
    • Anthony W Turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
        Scott…
        My Guild Press OR appears to list no OOB with the name of the commander
        of the 51st Georgia. However, if you check Special Order No. 27 on
        <ar20_491>, you'll find that the commander in March or April '62 to be
        Col. William M. Slaughter. The same Col. Slaughter is later listed as
        commander of the regiment during the battles of Fredericksburg and
        Chancellorsville.
        Tony Turner

        On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 02:23 PM, Scott Mingus
        <scottmingus@...> wrote:

        > In many OOBs that I have seen, the tactical commander of this
        > regiment is not names. Has anyone ever seen documentation of who
        > commanded this regiment at Sharpsburg and South Mountain?
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Curt Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
          Tony, Scott,
          Makes sense to me after running-down all the field officers of the 51st
          listed by Krick. Slaughter was MWIA at Chancellorsville. A check of
          Carman's OB may prove definitive.
          Curt

          <scottmingus@...> wrote:

          > In many OOBs that I have seen, the tactical commander of this
          > regiment is not names. Has anyone ever seen documentation of who
          > commanded this regiment at Sharpsburg and South Mountain?
          >
          > Scott
          >

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
            Curt Johnson wrote:

            >Tony, Scott,
            >Makes sense to me after running-down all the field officers of the 51st
            >listed by Krick. Slaughter was MWIA at Chancellorsville. A check of
            >Carman's OB may prove definitive.
            >Curt

            Neither Carman nor Joe Harsh in Sounding the Shalllows provide a name.
            If Slaughter was there one would think he would ne named, but maybe not.

            BTW, Brian Pohanka and I will be on C-Span Monday night 8 - 10 talking
            about Antietam, both the recent reenactment and the actual battle. They
            will air footage, which I have not seen, and have a live call-in
            session. I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ...

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
              In a message dated 12/13/2002 0:29:24 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
              << I doubt anything profound will be said, but if you are bored ... >>

              If you can get a plug in for SHAF, then the show will have been a success!

              Tom Shay - SHAF member
            • Scott Mingus <scottmingus@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
                William Slaughter's picture appears at
                http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2757/issues/georgia.htm

                However, I find no record that the man was with the regiment at
                Antietam.

                Part of the reason I asked is that on one of my Gettysburg message
                boards, we had a debate a while back regarding Ed Ball and whether or
                not he commanded the 51st at Gettysburg. Apparently this particular
                regiment did not keep detailed records. Ball appears to have missed
                Gettysburg (then serving as Colonel after Slaughter's death) but
                rejoined the regiment later that summer. In researching the history
                of this regiment as part of the Gettysburg controversy, I found that
                Slaughter does not appear on any OOB, and is not listed in the OR as
                being in command during the Maryland Campaign.

                Scott