Re Piper Orchard

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      Group,

      If anyone has been to the Antietam website lately, there is a
      wonderful press release posted therein. Parts of the historic
      Piper Orchard were to be begun being replanted in October of this
      year.

      I think, that, once the entire orchard is replanted it will
      provide a much more accurate view of the terrain features behind
      the Sunken Road. Of course, it would be difficult to replant the
      cornfield area but this is a large step towards a more Civil War
      era appearance.

      Any comments?

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble servant,
      G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
      Private, Signals Company,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
      current feature may be found at
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
      To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel