Re: [TalkAntietam] Digest Number 259

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2002

      > Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:43:04 -0000
      > From: "Scott Mingus" <scottmingus@...>
      > Subject: 17th Michigan
      >
      > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
      > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
      > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
      > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
      > South Mountain.

      I have already sent Scott a copy of my presentation from the past September through Harry Smeltzer. In it he can find my estimation is 720-750 as the strength before S. Mountain and 500 after Antietam.

      Bill Christen
    • Scott Mingus
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        Thanks folks! I needed the information on the 17th MI for a wargaming
        scenario that I have written for Fox's Gap for inclusion in "Undying
        Courage: Antietam in Miniature."

        I'm still working on determining the armament of Stuart's cavalry
        regiment by regiment. I've found some sources, but there are still
        gaps. Does anyone have additional sources on each regiment and their
        primary weapon (pistols, sabers, shotguns, breechloading carbines,
        muzzle loading carbines, etc.)?

        Scott
        Gettysburg - York Gamers
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
          Scott,

          Do any of the reports in the OR offer any clues?

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble servant,
          G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
          Private, Signals Company,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
          current feature may be found at
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
          To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel