Re: [TalkAntietam] 17th Michigan

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
      In a message dated 11/26/02 1:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scottmingus@... writes:
      > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South Mountain. Does
      > anyone know how many men they carried into that fight (or into Antietam as
      > I can then calculate how many they had a South Mountain). I've heard
      > anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the number at South Mountain. What
      > contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

      Scott,

      Bill Christen presented a great talk on the 17th MICH at the recent Antietam
      re-enactment.

      From his notes, here is info on Christ's Brigade for afternoon action at
      Wise's farm in Fox's Gap - 14 September 1862:

      Colonel Benjamin C. Christ - First Brigade (162 casualties)
      Captain Andrew P. Caraher - 28th Massachusetts (7 wounded)
      Lieutenant Colonel Frank Graves - 8th Michigan 200 men (8 wounded)
      Colonel William H. Withington - 17th Michigan, 750 men (26 killed, 106
      wounded)
      Lieutenant Colonel David Morrison - 79th New York (12 wounded)
      Major Edward Overton - 50th Pennsylvania (3 wounded)

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
        Bill Christen is the resident expert on 17th Mich. Ask him.