Re: [TalkAntietam] 17th Michigan

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
      Would not Carman offer an idea as well? Perhaps Tom Clemens could
      assist with that one.........

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble servant,
      G. E. (Gerry( Mayers,
      Private, Signals Company,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
      current feature may be found at
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
      To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
        In a message dated 11/26/02 1:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scottmingus@... writes:
        > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South Mountain. Does
        > anyone know how many men they carried into that fight (or into Antietam as
        > I can then calculate how many they had a South Mountain). I've heard
        > anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the number at South Mountain. What
        > contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

        Scott,

        Bill Christen presented a great talk on the 17th MICH at the recent Antietam
        re-enactment.

        From his notes, here is info on Christ's Brigade for afternoon action at
        Wise's farm in Fox's Gap - 14 September 1862:

        Colonel Benjamin C. Christ - First Brigade (162 casualties)
        Captain Andrew P. Caraher - 28th Massachusetts (7 wounded)
        Lieutenant Colonel Frank Graves - 8th Michigan 200 men (8 wounded)
        Colonel William H. Withington - 17th Michigan, 750 men (26 killed, 106
        wounded)
        Lieutenant Colonel David Morrison - 79th New York (12 wounded)
        Major Edward Overton - 50th Pennsylvania (3 wounded)

        Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
          Bill Christen is the resident expert on 17th Mich. Ask him.