Re: [TalkAntietam] 17th Michigan

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
      The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different
      entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
      The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South
      Mountain.

      My apologies to Scott and the rest of the group.

      Teej
    • Ollie
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
        The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different
        entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
        The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South
        Mountain.

        My apologies to Scott and the rest of the group.

        Teej

        Easy mistake to make. J. Amico also got confused. The plaque near the Reno Monument tells the story of the Stonewall Regiment. Perhaps someone from Michigan could come up with the numbers. I've only been there a few times and can not recall what is written on the plaque.
        OG

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
          Would not Carman offer an idea as well? Perhaps Tom Clemens could
          assist with that one.........

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble servant,
          G. E. (Gerry( Mayers,
          Private, Signals Company,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
          current feature may be found at
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
          To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
          http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
            In a message dated 11/26/02 1:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            scottmingus@... writes:
            > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South Mountain. Does
            > anyone know how many men they carried into that fight (or into Antietam as
            > I can then calculate how many they had a South Mountain). I've heard
            > anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the number at South Mountain. What
            > contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

            Scott,

            Bill Christen presented a great talk on the 17th MICH at the recent Antietam
            re-enactment.

            From his notes, here is info on Christ's Brigade for afternoon action at
            Wise's farm in Fox's Gap - 14 September 1862:

            Colonel Benjamin C. Christ - First Brigade (162 casualties)
            Captain Andrew P. Caraher - 28th Massachusetts (7 wounded)
            Lieutenant Colonel Frank Graves - 8th Michigan 200 men (8 wounded)
            Colonel William H. Withington - 17th Michigan, 750 men (26 killed, 106
            wounded)
            Lieutenant Colonel David Morrison - 79th New York (12 wounded)
            Major Edward Overton - 50th Pennsylvania (3 wounded)

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
              Bill Christen is the resident expert on 17th Mich. Ask him.