Re: [TalkAntietam] 17th Michigan

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
      Scott Mingus wrote:

      > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
      > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
      > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
      > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
      > South Mountain.
      >
      > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

      Scott, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but Jeffry Wert writes
      in his "A Brotherhood of Valor: The Common Soldiers of the Stonewall
      Braigade, C.S.A, And the Iron Brigade, U.S.A., "A recent estimate has
      calculated the average Confederate regimental strength at 166 and
      comparative Union numbers at 346. In the Stonewall Brigade, the figures were
      starkly worse. jackson had detached the Second Virginia and assigned it to
      provost duty in Martinsburg, Virginia, reducing the brigades regiments to
      four. Colonel Andrew Grigsby commanded the Virginians with a lieutenant
      colonel, a major, and two captains serving as regimental commanders. The
      brigade's reported strength at Sharpsburg was 250 officers and men, an
      average of slightly more than sixty per regiment.

      Regards,
      Teej
    • Ollie
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
        > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
        > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
        > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
        > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
        > South Mountain.
        >
        > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

        Scott, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but Jeffry Wert writes
        in his "A Brotherhood of Valor: The Common Soldiers of the Stonewall
        Braigade, C.S.A, And the Iron Brigade, U.S.A., "A recent estimate has
        calculated the average Confederate regimental strength at 166 and
        comparative Union numbers at 346. In the Stonewall Brigade, the figures were
        starkly worse. jackson had detached the Second Virginia and assigned it to
        provost duty in Martinsburg, Virginia, reducing the brigades regiments to
        four. Colonel Andrew Grigsby commanded the Virginians with a lieutenant
        colonel, a major, and two captains serving as regimental commanders. The
        brigade's reported strength at Sharpsburg was 250 officers and men, an
        average of slightly more than sixty per regiment.

        Regards,
        Teej

        The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
        The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South Mountain.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
          The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different
          entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
          The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South
          Mountain.

          My apologies to Scott and the rest of the group.

          Teej
        • Ollie
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
            The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different
            entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
            The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South
            Mountain.

            My apologies to Scott and the rest of the group.

            Teej

            Easy mistake to make. J. Amico also got confused. The plaque near the Reno Monument tells the story of the Stonewall Regiment. Perhaps someone from Michigan could come up with the numbers. I've only been there a few times and can not recall what is written on the plaque.
            OG

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
              Would not Carman offer an idea as well? Perhaps Tom Clemens could
              assist with that one.........

              Very respectfully,
              Your humble servant,
              G. E. (Gerry( Mayers,
              Private, Signals Company,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
              current feature may be found at
              http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
              To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
              http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

              Jeffery D. Wert wrote an awesome awesome book on the
              Stonewall and Iron Brigades during the war. I'll look
              at it if i remember. Also, might want to check the
              ORs.
              --- Scott Mingus <scottmingus@...> wrote:
              > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men
              > at South
              > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried
              > into that fight
              > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many
              > they had a South
              > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms
              > of the numbe rat
              > South Mountain.
              >
              > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do
              > they say?

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
              ·FREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/GmiolB/TM
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
                In a message dated 11/26/02 1:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                scottmingus@... writes:
                > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South Mountain. Does
                > anyone know how many men they carried into that fight (or into Antietam as
                > I can then calculate how many they had a South Mountain). I've heard
                > anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the number at South Mountain. What
                > contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

                Scott,

                Bill Christen presented a great talk on the 17th MICH at the recent Antietam
                re-enactment.

                From his notes, here is info on Christ's Brigade for afternoon action at
                Wise's farm in Fox's Gap - 14 September 1862:

                Colonel Benjamin C. Christ - First Brigade (162 casualties)
                Captain Andrew P. Caraher - 28th Massachusetts (7 wounded)
                Lieutenant Colonel Frank Graves - 8th Michigan 200 men (8 wounded)
                Colonel William H. Withington - 17th Michigan, 750 men (26 killed, 106
                wounded)
                Lieutenant Colonel David Morrison - 79th New York (12 wounded)
                Major Edward Overton - 50th Pennsylvania (3 wounded)

                Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

              • Tom Clemens
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
                  Bill Christen is the resident expert on 17th Mich. Ask him.