17th Michigan

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
      I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
      Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
      (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
      Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
      South Mountain.

      What contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?
    • J Amico
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
        Jeffery D. Wert wrote an awesome awesome book on the
        Stonewall and Iron Brigades during the war. I'll look
        at it if i remember. Also, might want to check the
        ORs.
        --- Scott Mingus <scottmingus@...> wrote:
        > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men
        > at South
        > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried
        > into that fight
        > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many
        > they had a South
        > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms
        > of the numbe rat
        > South Mountain.
        >
        > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do
        > they say?

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
          Scott Mingus wrote:

          > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
          > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
          > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
          > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
          > South Mountain.
          >
          > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

          Scott, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but Jeffry Wert writes
          in his "A Brotherhood of Valor: The Common Soldiers of the Stonewall
          Braigade, C.S.A, And the Iron Brigade, U.S.A., "A recent estimate has
          calculated the average Confederate regimental strength at 166 and
          comparative Union numbers at 346. In the Stonewall Brigade, the figures were
          starkly worse. jackson had detached the Second Virginia and assigned it to
          provost duty in Martinsburg, Virginia, reducing the brigades regiments to
          four. Colonel Andrew Grigsby commanded the Virginians with a lieutenant
          colonel, a major, and two captains serving as regimental commanders. The
          brigade's reported strength at Sharpsburg was 250 officers and men, an
          average of slightly more than sixty per regiment.

          Regards,
          Teej
        • Ollie
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
            > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
            > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
            > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
            > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
            > South Mountain.
            >
            > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

            Scott, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but Jeffry Wert writes
            in his "A Brotherhood of Valor: The Common Soldiers of the Stonewall
            Braigade, C.S.A, And the Iron Brigade, U.S.A., "A recent estimate has
            calculated the average Confederate regimental strength at 166 and
            comparative Union numbers at 346. In the Stonewall Brigade, the figures were
            starkly worse. jackson had detached the Second Virginia and assigned it to
            provost duty in Martinsburg, Virginia, reducing the brigades regiments to
            four. Colonel Andrew Grigsby commanded the Virginians with a lieutenant
            colonel, a major, and two captains serving as regimental commanders. The
            brigade's reported strength at Sharpsburg was 250 officers and men, an
            average of slightly more than sixty per regiment.

            Regards,
            Teej

            The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
            The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South Mountain.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
              The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different
              entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
              The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South
              Mountain.

              My apologies to Scott and the rest of the group.

              Teej
            • Ollie
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
                The Stonewall REGIMENT and the Stonewall BRIGADE were two different
                entaties. One was Union from Michigan and the other was Rebel from Virginia.
                The Stonewall brigade was at Harpers Ferry during the battle for South
                Mountain.

                My apologies to Scott and the rest of the group.

                Teej

                Easy mistake to make. J. Amico also got confused. The plaque near the Reno Monument tells the story of the Stonewall Regiment. Perhaps someone from Michigan could come up with the numbers. I've only been there a few times and can not recall what is written on the plaque.
                OG

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
                  Would not Carman offer an idea as well? Perhaps Tom Clemens could
                  assist with that one.........

                  Very respectfully,
                  Your humble servant,
                  G. E. (Gerry( Mayers,
                  Private, Signals Company,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Edward Lee

                  Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
                  current feature may be found at
                  http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
                  To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
                  http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

                  Jeffery D. Wert wrote an awesome awesome book on the
                  Stonewall and Iron Brigades during the war. I'll look
                  at it if i remember. Also, might want to check the
                  ORs.
                  --- Scott Mingus <scottmingus@...> wrote:
                  > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men
                  > at South
                  > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried
                  > into that fight
                  > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many
                  > they had a South
                  > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms
                  > of the numbe rat
                  > South Mountain.
                  >
                  > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do
                  > they say?

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                  ·FREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/GmiolB/TM
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
                    In a message dated 11/26/02 1:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    scottmingus@... writes:
                    > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South Mountain. Does
                    > anyone know how many men they carried into that fight (or into Antietam as
                    > I can then calculate how many they had a South Mountain). I've heard
                    > anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the number at South Mountain. What
                    > contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

                    Scott,

                    Bill Christen presented a great talk on the 17th MICH at the recent Antietam
                    re-enactment.

                    From his notes, here is info on Christ's Brigade for afternoon action at
                    Wise's farm in Fox's Gap - 14 September 1862:

                    Colonel Benjamin C. Christ - First Brigade (162 casualties)
                    Captain Andrew P. Caraher - 28th Massachusetts (7 wounded)
                    Lieutenant Colonel Frank Graves - 8th Michigan 200 men (8 wounded)
                    Colonel William H. Withington - 17th Michigan, 750 men (26 killed, 106
                    wounded)
                    Lieutenant Colonel David Morrison - 79th New York (12 wounded)
                    Major Edward Overton - 50th Pennsylvania (3 wounded)

                    Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

                  • Tom Clemens
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
                      Bill Christen is the resident expert on 17th Mich. Ask him.