South Mountain wargame

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2002
      If anyone is interested, this weekend I will be presenting two public
      miniature wargames based upon the fighting at South Mountain. These
      games are FREE to the viewing public, and will be a part of the very
      large Fall-In 2002 convention of wargamers at the Lancaster Host
      Resort on route 30 in Lancaster PA.

      Game #1 will be Friday night at 6PM. It will recreate Cox's attack on
      Fox's Gap led by Rutherford B. Hayes and the 23rd OVI and others.
      This is a game orginally presented at the Hayes museum in Fremont OH
      in early October. The game will be in 15mm scale using Johnny RebIII
      as the rules set.

      Game #2 will be Saturday afternoon at 2PM. This will be a follow-up
      game with the afternoon and evening action at Fox's Gap as Reno led
      forward the rest of IX Corps while parts of 5 Rebel brigades tried to
      hold the gap.

      Both games are excerpted from the manuscript for my upcoming
      wargaming book, "Undying Courage: The Maryland Campaign in
      Miniature." This work is the third in a series of full-color
      wargaming booklets. Volume 1 of the series, "Enduring Valor:
      Gettysburg in Miniature" is now in print and for sale at Gettysburg
      shops including Greystone's and others. Volume 2 is due out in
      January.

      If anyone is interested in learning a little more about miniature
      wargaming, feel free to stop by the Lancaster Host and watch the
      South Mountain games, and introduce yourself as a member of the
      TalkAntietam board.

      And to those of you from this group who has so very graciously
      offered advice, constructive criticism of the draft scenarios, and
      suggestions, THANK YOU very much!

      regards!

      Scott Mingus
      Gettysburg - York Gamers
    • J Amico
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2002
        ..Scott,
        Im interested...but unfortunately I won't be in the
        area this weekend. Any suggestions, I live near
        Mechanicsburg.:)
        Thanks
        -jason

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
      • Scott Mingus
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2002
          Jason,

          Sorry I missed your presentation on Iverson at the CWRT meeting in
          Gettysburg last week. I was tied up with other activities.

          I did do a Gettysburg game a couple weeks ago at the Winds of Valor /
          MilitaryHistoryOnline.com fall muster.

          I'll post some pictures of this weekend's South Mountain games for
          folks to get an idea of what the gaming layout looks like.

          regards!

          Scott "the Mad Wargamer" Mingus
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2002
            Scott,

            Will the game scenarios eventually be computerized???

            Very respectfully,
            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
            February 21, 2003--
            said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2002

              I have all 16 miniature wargaming scenarios currently in manuscript
              format prior to submitting them to my publisher. If you's like to
              take a look, please send me an e-mail off-line. Several folks from
              this YahooGroup have been kind enough to help review the scenarios
              and offer constructive commentary. Feel free to join in!

              Scott

            • Scott Mingus <scottmingus@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2002
                Here is a link to one of the "aerial" [hotos of my recent Fox's Gap
                wargaming scenario.

                http://www.fall-in.org/images/fi1195.jpg
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2002
                  Scott,

                  Which portion of the Battles for South Mountain are we viewing in
                  that image???

                  Impressive indeed.

                  Very respectfully,
                  Your humble servant,
                  G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
                  Private,
                  Nelson's Signal Company,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Edward Lee

                  Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion! The
                  current feature may be found at
                  http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
                  To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
                  http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@f...>
                    wrote:
                    > Scott,
                    >
                    > Which portion of the Battles for South Mountain are we viewing in
                    > that image???

                    Gerry,

                    This view is looking north from the Lamb's Knoll region. In the
                    foreground is the country lane that ran by the J. H. Beachley house
                    (first house from the bottom). To the right is Old Sharpsburg Road
                    (Hoffman and Martz houses). Towards the center is Fox's Gap and a
                    structure to represent the Wise cabin. To the left is the road
                    heading down towards Pleasant Valley (Lampert and Hutzel homesteads).
                    To the north (top of the photo) runs the old mountain road towards
                    Turner's Gap.

                    At the extreme NE corner of the photo is the National Pike near the
                    D. Beachley farm. The stone walls in this segment are defending by
                    two regiments of Colquitt's Brigade.

                    Everything is in 15mm scale. I use Johnny RebIII as the rules. Each
                    inch of miniature terrain equals 50 yards of ground scale, each tiny
                    wargaming pewter figure equals 30 armed combatants, and each game
                    turn is 20 minutes of ground time.

                    For more pictures of South Mountain gaming, please see my web site at
                    http://www.geocities.com/scottmingus/index. Also, please sign my
                    guestbook if you have time.

                    regards!

                    Scott
                  • james2044 <james2044@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2002
                      Gerry
                      The TalonSoft PC game Antietam has South Mountain on it. Check
                      eBay, I have them all. The AI isn't but they are based on the SPI
                      TSS system and are the bast ones out. HPS is doing ACW campaign
                      games. I have Corinth and the next one is due 1st qtr 03.
                      James

                      wrote:
                      > Scott,
                      >
                      > Will the game scenarios eventually be computerized???
                      >
                      > Very respectfully,
                      > Your humble servant,
                      > Gerry Mayers
                      > Pvt., CS Signals,
                      > Longstreet's Corps

                      > Edward Lee
                      >
                      > Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
                      > February 21, 2003--
                      > said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

                        Robert