Re: [TalkAntietam] James M. McPherson's Antietam

  • John Furey
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2002
      James and all
      For all of you who I have met or know, it is no secret that I am A Hood's
      Texas Brigade fan, in particular the 1st Texas.
      For an historian of his "stature" to not identify LTC. Philip A. Work as the
      commander of the 1st Texas is inexcusable.(pg.119).
      When it comes to Antietam, i'll stick with Harsh and Clemans.
      best,
      John

      > I read this last week and would like other member's thoughts on the
      > book. I found it to be a very interesting review of the war up to
      > September 1862 but to have skipped over the battle. It might be the
      > title lead me to expect a book on the battle. I din't find any new
      > information or insights in this book.
      >
      > I did enjoy it and it is an easy read. At about $25 it is worth the
      > money.
      >
      > James

    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2002
        I don't believe McPherson's goal was to give another "history" of the
        battle. Rather than to emphasize its effect as an important turning point
        of American history.
        I was present at his discussion/book signing at the visitor center in Sept.
        History and writing about historical events I believe periodically takes a
        decidedly revisionist turn. For me it was refreshing to hear someone to give
        a talk on the period using basically contemporary sources. And his
        conclusions, that, yes, Mac was a poor field commander, that the results of
        the battle did indeed postpone possible foreign intervention and that the
        release of the Emancipation Proclamation was an important new statement in
        regards to the moral and political goals for the Union were well argued.

        I enjoyed the talk and the book.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        > For all of you who I have met or know, it is no secret that I am A Hood's
        > Texas Brigade fan, in particular the 1st Texas.
        > For an historian of his "stature" to not identify LTC. Philip A. Work as
        the
        > commander of the 1st Texas is inexcusable.(pg.119).
        > When it comes to Antietam, i'll stick with Harsh and Clemans.
        > best,
        > John
        >
        > > I read this last week and would like other member's thoughts on the
        > > book. I found it to be a very interesting review of the war up to
        > > September 1862 but to have skipped over the battle. It might be the
        > > title lead me to expect a book on the battle. I din't find any new
        > > information or insights in this book.
        > >
        > > I did enjoy it and it is an easy read. At about $25 it is worth the
        > > money.
        > >
        > > James
        > >

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • james2044
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2002
          David

          I enjoyed the book. It was marketed as a battle history, it is a
          overview of the war to September 1862 and the effects the battle had
          on the war. I don't think that anyone disputes his statements but
          their is nothing new in the book. I think I expected more from him
          and from the book.

          James

          PS did you get a signed copy?

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2002
            Jim,

            Actually, I think this book is the second in a series by a group of
            historians examining pivotal moments in American history and was not
            intended as a battlefield history...at least that was its purpose given by
            McPherson during his discussion.

            Precisely because he simply stated the effects that the Maryland campaign
            had on the war without something "new" was what I found refreshing, given
            the current treads in civil war histories. Sometimes the reaffirmation of
            the obvious is needed. "New" can certainly sell books but I sometimes
            question it's validity or importance.

            David Lutton