Re: [TalkAntietam] Book Sale

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2002
      Ray Ortensie wrote
      > Have any of you read any of these books. LSU is running a Civil War Book
      > Sale till the end of the year and I may add some of these to my collection
      > but what to know if any of you have any views on any of these.

      ......snip......
      > J. William Jones
      > Personal Reminiscences of General Robert E. Lee

      Ray,

      I have two books written by J. William Jones, but not "Personal
      Reminiscences....." . Rev. J. William Jones, D.D. was Chaplain in the Army
      of Northern Virginia and knew Lee intimately. The books I have are "Christ
      in the Camp" and "Life and Letters of Gen. Robert Edward Lee." In the
      former, Dr. Jones chronicles in great detail the structure, function, and
      importance of the clergy in the ANV. In "Life and Letters ...." he uses
      Lee's correspondence, and his personal knowledge of Lee to present a very
      human picture of the General.

      In both, Dr. Jones' work is masterful, it is well written and quite
      detailed. He later wrote articles which are included in the Southern
      Historical Society Papers. An especially interesting paper was one he wrote
      on how the City of Newport News got its name (it's in the SHSP). At any
      rate I believe anything you find by Dr. Jones will be worth the price.

      Regards,
      Ron Church
      Manchester, MD.
    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2002
        Ron:

        Thanks. I am well aware of Jones' work. My current research is in
        Confederate religion and I am working on an article for submission on the
        religious revivals that took place in the 2nd Corps during the winter of
        1862/1863. Jones' Christ in Camp is a valuable resource but also Bennett's
        work too. Right now I am working on finding non-secular works mentioning
        the revivals. I am debating on looking into the role of the religious
        newspapers as a morale builder for my thesis. Thanks again.

        Ray

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2002
          Ray,

          While it might seem I have forgotten my offer to aid you with
          your project I have not. I will shortly review my CD of the SHSP
          and see what is revealed about religion in the camps of the
          Confederate Armies during the time period you mention.

          If I should find anything, should I print them out and mail to
          you or send them to you via several private emails?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
          February 21, 2003--
          said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/