Book Sale

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2002
      Have any of you read any of these books. LSU is running a Civil War Book
      Sale till the end of the year and I may add some of these to my collection
      but what to know if any of you have any views on any of these.

      Napier Bartlett
      Military Record of Louisiana: Including Biographical & Historical
      Papers Relating to the Military Organization of the State

      Arthur W. Bergeron
      The Civil War Reminiscences of Major Silas T. Grisamore, C.S.A.

      Arthur W. Bergeron
      Confederate Mobile

      Jefferson Davis Bragg
      Louisiana in the Confederacy

      Richard Brownlee
      Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy: Guerrilla Warfare in the West,
      1861-1865

      W.C. Corsan
      Two Months in the Confederate States: An Englishman's Travels Through
      the South

      Thomas L. Connelly
      God and General Longstreet: The Lost Cause and the Southern Mind

      Thomas L. Connelly
      The Politics of Command: Factions & Ideas in Confederate Strategy

      William C. Davis
      Jefferson Davis: The Man and His Honor

      William C. Davis
      Bluegrass Confederate: The Headquarters Diary of Edward O. Guerrant

      Donald E Everett
      Chaplain Davis and Hood's Texas Brigade

      Douglas Southall Freeman
      The South to Posterity: An Introduction to the Writing of Confederate
      History

      Walter Harrison
      Pickett's Men: A Fragment of War History

      J. William Jones
      Personal Reminiscences of General Robert E. Lee

      Nathaniel Cheairs Hughes
      The Civil War Memoir of Philip Daingerfield Stephenson, D.D.: Private,
      Company K, 13th AR Volunteer Infantry

      Kenneth Radley
      Rebel Watchdog: The Confederate States Army Provost General

      John Allan Wyeth
      That Devil Forrest: Life of General Nathan Bedford Forrest

      Bell Irvin Wiley
      The Road to Appomattox

      Thanks! If anyone is interested I can find a link to the press and I
      believe I have a 800 number for them also.

      Ray
      photoray@...
      ray@...
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2002
        Ray Ortensie wrote
        > Have any of you read any of these books. LSU is running a Civil War Book
        > Sale till the end of the year and I may add some of these to my collection
        > but what to know if any of you have any views on any of these.

        ......snip......
        > J. William Jones
        > Personal Reminiscences of General Robert E. Lee

        Ray,

        I have two books written by J. William Jones, but not "Personal
        Reminiscences....." . Rev. J. William Jones, D.D. was Chaplain in the Army
        of Northern Virginia and knew Lee intimately. The books I have are "Christ
        in the Camp" and "Life and Letters of Gen. Robert Edward Lee." In the
        former, Dr. Jones chronicles in great detail the structure, function, and
        importance of the clergy in the ANV. In "Life and Letters ...." he uses
        Lee's correspondence, and his personal knowledge of Lee to present a very
        human picture of the General.

        In both, Dr. Jones' work is masterful, it is well written and quite
        detailed. He later wrote articles which are included in the Southern
        Historical Society Papers. An especially interesting paper was one he wrote
        on how the City of Newport News got its name (it's in the SHSP). At any
        rate I believe anything you find by Dr. Jones will be worth the price.

        Regards,
        Ron Church
        Manchester, MD.
      • Ray Ortensie
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 21, 2002
          Ron:

          Thanks. I am well aware of Jones' work. My current research is in
          Confederate religion and I am working on an article for submission on the
          religious revivals that took place in the 2nd Corps during the winter of
          1862/1863. Jones' Christ in Camp is a valuable resource but also Bennett's
          work too. Right now I am working on finding non-secular works mentioning
          the revivals. I am debating on looking into the role of the religious
          newspapers as a morale builder for my thesis. Thanks again.

          Ray

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2002
            Ray,

            While it might seem I have forgotten my offer to aid you with
            your project I have not. I will shortly review my CD of the SHSP
            and see what is revealed about religion in the camps of the
            Confederate Armies during the time period you mention.

            If I should find anything, should I print them out and mail to
            you or send them to you via several private emails?

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
            February 21, 2003--
            said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/