Re: [TalkAntietam] Youngest and Oldest Casualties

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002

      According to my videotape of of Keith Snyder's tour.......

      George and Gottfried Gleisen (undoubtedly I am spelling the last name
      incorrect) were
      brothers in the 97th New York. They were shoemakers from New York City. They
      had
      recently immigrated from Germany. They had lied about their ages to enlist.
      One was
      61 and said he was 44; the older brother was 63 and said he was 42 (i.e.
      younger than
      his brother). George was shot and killed in the East Woods/Cornfield area and
      his
      brother went to his assistance, but he was also shot and killed.

      Hope this helps.

      Tom Shay - giving Gettysburg tour on Friday of "140 Places Every Guide Should
      Know"