Re: [TalkAntietam] Youngest and Oldest Casualties

  • Mary Hawthorne
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
      I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the cover of the book is of his burial site)
      bluelady
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
        Group,

        Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both
        died in the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
        sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties?

        Maybe Tom Shay can help with that one............

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
        February 21, 2003--
        said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002
        > I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly
        the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that
        Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John
        Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest
        pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the
        cover of the book is of his burial site)
        > bluelady

        Service.

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002
          In a message dated 10/14/2002 9:24:53 PM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
          << Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both died in
          the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
          sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties? Maybe Tom
          Shay can help with that one............ >>

          I recall the name as being something like "Gleisen". I know I have a note on
          it somewhere and shall look for it.
          The interest in their story was due to their lying about their ages, giving
          ages much younger than they actually were.
          As to their fate at Antietam, I need to check my notes.
          Their story was mentioned by Keith Snyder during tour, so I can also check my
          videotape.

          Gerry, does your question about oldest/youngest casualties refer to only KIA?

          Tom Shay - heading to Gettysburg on Friday
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002

            Thanks for your help...would appreciate your checking notes asap.

            Actually, I wanted to know youngest and oldest for all the
            categories...including for the CSA if you have that
            information........

            said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002

              According to my videotape of of Keith Snyder's tour.......

              George and Gottfried Gleisen (undoubtedly I am spelling the last name
              incorrect) were
              brothers in the 97th New York. They were shoemakers from New York City. They
              had
              recently immigrated from Germany. They had lied about their ages to enlist.
              One was
              61 and said he was 44; the older brother was 63 and said he was 42 (i.e.
              younger than
              his brother). George was shot and killed in the East Woods/Cornfield area and
              his
              brother went to his assistance, but he was also shot and killed.

              Hope this helps.

              Tom Shay - giving Gettysburg tour on Friday of "140 Places Every Guide Should
              Know"