Re: [TalkAntietam] Youngest and Oldest Casualties

  • Curt Johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
      Gerry,
      I will volunteer Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield as the oldest Federal casualty.
      Good luck,
      Curt

    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
        I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the cover of the book is of his burial site)
        bluelady
        I will volunteer Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield as the oldest Federal casualty.
        Good luck,
        Curt

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
          Group,

          Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both
          died in the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
          sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties?

          Maybe Tom Shay can help with that one............

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
          February 21, 2003--
          said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002
          > I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly
          the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that
          Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John
          Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest
          pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the
          cover of the book is of his burial site)
          > bluelady

          Service.

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002
            In a message dated 10/14/2002 9:24:53 PM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
            << Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both died in
            the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
            sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties? Maybe Tom
            Shay can help with that one............ >>

            I recall the name as being something like "Gleisen". I know I have a note on
            it somewhere and shall look for it.
            The interest in their story was due to their lying about their ages, giving
            ages much younger than they actually were.
            As to their fate at Antietam, I need to check my notes.
            Their story was mentioned by Keith Snyder during tour, so I can also check my
            videotape.

            Gerry, does your question about oldest/youngest casualties refer to only KIA?

            Tom Shay - heading to Gettysburg on Friday
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002
              Tom,

              Thanks for your help...would appreciate your checking notes asap.

              Actually, I wanted to know youngest and oldest for all the
              categories...including for the CSA if you have that
              information........

              said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002
                Gerry,

                According to my videotape of of Keith Snyder's tour.......

                George and Gottfried Gleisen (undoubtedly I am spelling the last name
                incorrect) were
                brothers in the 97th New York. They were shoemakers from New York City. They
                had
                recently immigrated from Germany. They had lied about their ages to enlist.
                One was
                61 and said he was 44; the older brother was 63 and said he was 42 (i.e.
                younger than
                his brother). George was shot and killed in the East Woods/Cornfield area and
                his
                brother went to his assistance, but he was also shot and killed.

                Hope this helps.

                Tom Shay - giving Gettysburg tour on Friday of "140 Places Every Guide Should
                Know"