Re: [TalkAntietam] Youngest and Oldest Casualties

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2002

      I don't know if this is the youngest casualty, but it's a tragic story. The
      source is "Antietam, A photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day" pg
      192 et seq. by Wm. A. Frassanito

      Charles E. King, from the borough of West Chester, Chester Co. Pennsylvania
      is listed as being 12 years, 5 months, and 9 days old at his time of
      enlistment on Sept. 9 1861. He enlisted as a drummer boy for Company F,
      49th Pa. Volunteers. In the early afternoon of the day of the battle the
      49th was in the vicinity of the north end of the east woods. A confederate
      shell lobbed in that direction exploded in their midst and young Charles
      King took a shell fragment through the body. He died three days later from
      his wound.

      If my math is correct he was 13 years, 5 months and 20 days old at the time
      of this death.

      Hope this helps

      Ron Church
      Manchester MD

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
        Im pretty sure that is correct...Chalie King

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
          I will volunteer Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield as the oldest Federal casualty.
          Good luck,
          Curt

        • Mary Hawthorne
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
            I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the cover of the book is of his burial site)
            bluelady
            I will volunteer Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield as the oldest Federal casualty.
            Good luck,
            Curt

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
              Group,

              Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both
              died in the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
              sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties?

              Maybe Tom Shay can help with that one............

              said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002
              > I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly
              the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that
              Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John
              Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest
              pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the
              cover of the book is of his burial site)
              > bluelady

              Service.

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002
                In a message dated 10/14/2002 9:24:53 PM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
                << Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both died in
                the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
                sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties? Maybe Tom
                Shay can help with that one............ >>

                I recall the name as being something like "Gleisen". I know I have a note on
                it somewhere and shall look for it.
                The interest in their story was due to their lying about their ages, giving
                ages much younger than they actually were.
                As to their fate at Antietam, I need to check my notes.
                Their story was mentioned by Keith Snyder during tour, so I can also check my
                videotape.

                Gerry, does your question about oldest/youngest casualties refer to only KIA?

                Tom Shay - heading to Gettysburg on Friday
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002

                  Thanks for your help...would appreciate your checking notes asap.

                  Actually, I wanted to know youngest and oldest for all the
                  categories...including for the CSA if you have that
                  information........

                  said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002

                    According to my videotape of of Keith Snyder's tour.......

                    George and Gottfried Gleisen (undoubtedly I am spelling the last name
                    incorrect) were
                    brothers in the 97th New York. They were shoemakers from New York City. They
                    had
                    recently immigrated from Germany. They had lied about their ages to enlist.
                    One was
                    61 and said he was 44; the older brother was 63 and said he was 42 (i.e.
                    younger than
                    his brother). George was shot and killed in the East Woods/Cornfield area and
                    his
                    brother went to his assistance, but he was also shot and killed.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Tom Shay - giving Gettysburg tour on Friday of "140 Places Every Guide Should
                    Know"