Youngest and Oldest Casualties

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2002
      Group,

      For an article I will be shortly writing, I would appreciate
      assistance with the name, unit and age of the youngest and oldest
      casualties of the battle-field of Sharpsburg. If you have
      information on the youngest and oldest of both sides, I will be
      grateful.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
      February 21, 2003--
      said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2002

        I don't know if this is the youngest casualty, but it's a tragic story. The
        source is "Antietam, A photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day" pg
        192 et seq. by Wm. A. Frassanito

        Charles E. King, from the borough of West Chester, Chester Co. Pennsylvania
        is listed as being 12 years, 5 months, and 9 days old at his time of
        enlistment on Sept. 9 1861. He enlisted as a drummer boy for Company F,
        49th Pa. Volunteers. In the early afternoon of the day of the battle the
        49th was in the vicinity of the north end of the east woods. A confederate
        shell lobbed in that direction exploded in their midst and young Charles
        King took a shell fragment through the body. He died three days later from
        his wound.

        If my math is correct he was 13 years, 5 months and 20 days old at the time
        of this death.

        Hope this helps

        Ron Church
        Manchester MD

        > For an article I will be shortly writing, I would appreciate
        > assistance with the name, unit and age of the youngest and oldest
        > casualties of the battle-field of Sharpsburg. If you have
        > information on the youngest and oldest of both sides, I will be
        > grateful.
        >
        > Your humble servant,
        > Gerry Mayers
        > Pvt., CS Signals,
        > Longstreet's Corps

        > Edward Lee
        >
        > Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
        > February 21, 2003--
        > said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

      • J Amico
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
          Im pretty sure that is correct...Chalie King

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
            I will volunteer Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield as the oldest Federal casualty.
            Good luck,
            Curt

          • Mary Hawthorne
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
              I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the cover of the book is of his burial site)
              bluelady
              I will volunteer Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield as the oldest Federal casualty.
              Good luck,
              Curt

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 14, 2002
                Group,

                Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both
                died in the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
                sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties?

                Maybe Tom Shay can help with that one............

                said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002
                > I would agree with that. But if you are looking for possibly
                the oldest in the ranks then I would also go to the source that
                Ron Church quoted about Charlie King and see the Pvt John
                Marshall Co L 28th Pa at 50 could possibly be one of the oldest
                pvts from the union to die in this battle. (The picture on the
                cover of the book is of his burial site)
                > bluelady

                Service.

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002
                  In a message dated 10/14/2002 9:24:53 PM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
                  << Where there not two brothers, immigrants from Germany, who both died in
                  the area of The Cornfield...who were actually in their
                  sixties? But who had enlisted as being in their early forties? Maybe Tom
                  Shay can help with that one............ >>

                  I recall the name as being something like "Gleisen". I know I have a note on
                  it somewhere and shall look for it.
                  The interest in their story was due to their lying about their ages, giving
                  ages much younger than they actually were.
                  As to their fate at Antietam, I need to check my notes.
                  Their story was mentioned by Keith Snyder during tour, so I can also check my
                  videotape.

                  Gerry, does your question about oldest/youngest casualties refer to only KIA?

                  Tom Shay - heading to Gettysburg on Friday
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002

                    Thanks for your help...would appreciate your checking notes asap.

                    Actually, I wanted to know youngest and oldest for all the
                    categories...including for the CSA if you have that
                    information........

                    said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

                    Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002

                      According to my videotape of of Keith Snyder's tour.......

                      George and Gottfried Gleisen (undoubtedly I am spelling the last name
                      incorrect) were
                      brothers in the 97th New York. They were shoemakers from New York City. They
                      had
                      recently immigrated from Germany. They had lied about their ages to enlist.
                      One was
                      61 and said he was 44; the older brother was 63 and said he was 42 (i.e.
                      younger than
                      his brother). George was shot and killed in the East Woods/Cornfield area and
                      his
                      brother went to his assistance, but he was also shot and killed.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Tom Shay - giving Gettysburg tour on Friday of "140 Places Every Guide Should
                      Know"