Help with Identification

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
      Can someone that may have access to regimental rosters or just might know
      identify these men's first names?

      L.C. Vass, chaplain 27th Virginia
      J.M. Grandin, chaplain 33rd Virginia
      J.K. Hitner, private then chaplain, Rockbridge Artillery

      Thanks!

      Ray
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
        In a message dated 9/29/02 3:17:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        photoray@... writes:
        > L.C. Vass, chaplain 27th Virginia

        Ray,

        I found this info on www.vassfamily.com.....

        One very famous Vass was the Rev. Lachlan Cumming Vass I who served as a
        chaplain in the Stonewall Brigade. I have his diary from the last days of the
        War and lots of memorabilia! His mother was Elizabeth Maury (after whom I am
        named!) was the daughter of Col. Abraham Maury, a close friend of George
        Washington, and brother to Matthew Fontaine Maury, "Pathfinder of the Seas."

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
          photoray@... writes:
          > J.M. Grandin, chaplain 33rd Virginia

          I am assuming that is Joshua M. Grandin

          Info found at:
          www.nnu.edu/wesleyctr/books/1501-1600/HDM1573.PDF

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
            photoray@... writes:
            <<J.K. Hitner, private then chaplain, Rockbridge Artillery>>

            Ray,

            On Page 8 at
            http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/va/rockbridge/courts/minutes-1898-1903.tx

            it states...

            Hittner, Jno. K., Enl. Mar. 17th, -62. Wounded.

          • Ray Ortensie
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
              Tom:

              Thank you very much. Both Bennett and Jones just use initials for the
              chaplains names and that was one of the serious critiques of my first draft
              of the paper of not having complete names. Does Vass have a diary from the
              early years?

              Ray

              > In a message dated 9/29/02 3:17:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > photoray@... writes:
              > > L.C. Vass, chaplain 27th Virginia
              > >
              > Ray,
              >
              > I found this info on www.vassfamily.com.....
              >
              > One very famous Vass was the Rev. Lachlan Cumming Vass I who served as a
              > chaplain in the Stonewall Brigade. I have his diary from the last days of
              the
              > War and lots of memorabilia! His mother was Elizabeth Maury (after whom I
              am
              > named!) was the daughter of Col. Abraham Maury, a close friend of George
              > Washington, and brother to Matthew Fontaine Maury, "Pathfinder of the
              Seas."

              > Tom Shay

            • Ray Ortensie
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
                Thanks Tom for all the help.

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 29, 2002
                  In a message dated 9/29/02 4:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  photoray@... writes:
                  > Does Vass have a diary from the early years?

                  The comment on website mentions diary. That's about all I know.