910Re: [TalkAntietam] Reenactment of Antietam

    Sep 9, 2002
      Dave,

      I will be at that event. There is INSURANCE which is very
      expensive, land use permits, porta johns, road construction,
      etc., not to mention food, water, etc. Corporate sponsorship was
      sought to help defray many of the costs. There are 13,000
      reenactors registered for the event and they are expecting a
      sizable number of spectators. There is also event staff that have
      to be covered, etc.

      I agree with some of what you say, but reenacting needs to cover
      its expenses and pay its own way SOMEHOW. I am not shouting at
      you but emphasizing how prohibitive it could be cost wise if the
      public bore all the costs for an event. The mega events are
      really not a true way to reenact but they are a very good way to
      educate a large group of people into some idea of what the actual
      soldiers experienced in the battle situations. Living history
      events and similar where either the public pays or the reenactors
      pay are more locally run ones.

      I am still relatively new at the reenacting hobby but I am sure
      those in the group who have been in the hobby for several years
      could provide more information.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,