909Reenactment of Antietam

  • Dave Clugh
    Sep 9, 2002

      I have not done nor been to a Civil War Reenactment for several years. One of the reasons I stopped is the fact it became a bit too expensive.

      Can anyone give insite as to the reasons Civil War Reenactments charge such high registration fees, or even why registration fees are charged at all? I currently do Rev War and sites, most are original ones at that, pay us to attend and do reenactments of varying sizes. I recall doing a Civil War event at Cedar Creek one year and having to shell out money for straw and then firewood!

      I visited the Antietam site and see that it would cost anywhere from 17 to 25 dollars per participant to register depending upon when they received the money. These "sponsors" then are charging the public more to come and see. Geeze, I think it is something like 25 dollars for a day pass and 40 something for three days. They are probably charging for parking as well.

      I found it offensive that I would be charged a registration fee after supplying all of my equipment and powder etc. and then the public is charged more to boot to come see me (us) do our thing. the reenactors get nothing in return other than a place to play.

      Does anyone have ideas on this? I am curious. Who is making the profits off of the reenactors?

      I realize there must be some compensation for land use, crop damage/parodies, insurance, logistical support, etc. But shouldn't that come from what the public is charged?

      Your servant,

      Dave Clugh

      From Dave Clugh Sgt. 3rd Pa. Light Inf.

      Do You Yahoo!?