7071Re: Re: Re: [TalkAntietam] Fwd: re AAR for Richardson's Division for Sunken Road fight

  • Tom Clemens
    Dec 31, 2013
      The process was for regimental commanders to write reports to their brigade commander, brigade to division, etc. so that a division or corps commander, who might not see all the actions of their command, could still write an accurate report of what their command did in a battle.
      BTW, in similar circumstances Williams wrote the 12th Corps report, and in a letter to McClellan in April 1863 he complained that Crawford sent his report directly to Army HQ and not to him.  It was one point in a long and very damning letter from Williams about Crawford.
       Happy New Year to you too.

      Tom Clemens
      Keedysville, MD
      antietam@...

      On 12/31/13, G E Mayers wrote:

      Dear Tom;

      Thanks for that. I was not sure if Hancock would be the one to write the report or if someone else on the divisional staff would have done so. I asked the question partly because I knew Hancock was made the divison commander by Mac almost at the end of the fighting at the Sunken Road.

       Happy New Year to you and your family.

      http://milfordalive.com/gerard-e-mayers/
      https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers
      http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

      On 12/31/13, Tom Clemens<antietam@...> wrote:

      Gerry,
      Hancock wrote a report, OR ser. 1, Vol. 19, pt. 1, pp. 277-83. Like most division reports, it is mostly compiled from the reports of brigade, regimental and battery commanders.  Especially so in this case because he did not take command until after the fighting was nearly over.

      Tom Clemens
      Keedysville, MD

       Tried to use my alternative email address and it would not go through... please see the original message below.