- Sep 13, 2013View Source
Researching the 128th Pa at the Berks Co Historical Society and came across two confusing statements. In one letter of a 128th Pa he states on August 19th, 1862, he writes from “Camp Wells near Fort Albany, Virginia. Then another 128th soldier claims they were located at “Camp Wells near Fort Richardson”. From correspondence it is obvious that Camp Wells is what they called the area they were encamped. Yet there are websites with markers for both of these Forts and while near each other, they don’t seem to be the same place.
For Fort Richardson – the website states: “One such place is trace remains of Fort Richardson, which now shares its ideal strategic high ground, quite fittingly with the ninth hole green of the Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, Virginia.”
For Fort Albany the website states: “It had a perimeter of 429 yards and emplacements for 12 guns. Even after Forts Richardson and Craig were built, 1300 yards to the west and north respectively, the heavy guns of Fort Albany served to support them, and to dominate them if they were captured. The ground on which the Fort stood was cut away during the construction of the Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway in 1942.”
It is obvious from these websites that they are not the same place. Per Google Maps, they are a few miles from each other. These two men were in two different companies. Could the area for encampments be so far apart for one regiment that they would actually be in two different areas – yet they both referred to the name of Camp Wells as to where they are located?
Any thoughts? Thanks.