6976Questions re Second Corps AoP and Irish Brigade

    Dec 29, 2012

      After the New Year I plan to start a companion novel to my first novel None But Heroes. This second novel will examine the same Maryland Campaign but through the eyes of a veteran of the Irish Brigade, part of Richardson's division of the 2nd Corps, Army of the Potomac.

      I have some questions I need some assistance with answering:

      1. Did the 2nd Corps under Sumner take any active part at all in the 2nd Bull Run campaign? If it did, what role did it play and to what extent?

      2. IIRC the 2nd Corps helped anchor the left flank of the advance of the AoP from Washington City, thereby securing the Potomac River part of Maryland from any feared Confederate invasion of Washington City. (This was a big bugbear for General in Chief Halleck as well as Secretary of War Stanton.)

      3. When did the 2nd Corps concentrate near Frederick and what was sits order of march when the 9th Corps made its advance towards Turner's and Fox's Gaps on South Mountain and the subsequent fighting there?

      4. Where was the 2nd Corps and Richardson's division in the line of march during the pursuit of Longstreet and Hill following the CS withdrawal from Turner's and Fox's Gaps on the morning of September 15th?

      5. Where did the 2nd Corps generally bivouac in the hours leading up to the battle on September 17th?

      I already know that Mac held Richardson's division back as a sort of general reserve pending the arrival of Morrell (IIRC) with his division; this was the primary reason why (again IIRC) it did not support Sedgwick's advance into the West Woods sector of the fighting.

      Does Vince Armstrong's book "Advance the Colors" answer these questions?

      Thanks for your help!

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic