      From: G E Mayers <gerry1952@...>
      To: CWDG <cwdg@yahoogroups.com>; TalkAntietam Group <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:20 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Thanksgiving

      Gang;

      With today being Thanksgiving and thinking of all the service personnel scattered so far and wide and away from their families, I am reminded of what Rufus R Dawes, Captain commanding Company K of the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry in 1861 wrote about the day in the field:

      "On the twenty-eighth of November, the regimental mess, composed of the field, staff and line officers, had a Thanksgiving dinner. We had built a large log dining hall, which was very comfortable, although home made. Our dinner was no small affair. Colonel Cutler also made each company in the regiment,
      the happy recipient of twenty mince pies, about a quarter of a pie to each man. I here obtained a leave of absence for ten days, for a visit to Ohio."

      On this day, as we gather to give our thanks, let us remember all our service men and women who would wish nothing more than to be gathered with their families and friends. Let us pray they all return to us, safe and sound.

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee