6942Re: [TalkAntietam] Was Roulette's family at the farm during battle?

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Nov 1 11:44 AM
      I agree that they went to the Manor Church.

      I'm just  puzzled by so many accounts (including Kathleen Enrst) that say otherwise. I know I've seen such statements in  books I own.

      Online accounts are also numerous, such as A rchives of Maryland  (below )....

      William Roulette, his wife Margaret, and their 5 children, heard the shots, explosions, and screams for what must have seemed like an eternity during that warm September day.  At one point, Confederate soldiers chased by the 14th Connecticut unit,  entered into the Roulette home and joined the family in the cellar to escape the fighting, if only for a moment.  They must have left soon after because witnesses account William Roulette at one time coming out of his cellar as he cheered on the Union saying "Give it to 'em! Drive 'em! Take anything on my place, only drive 'em!"

      Above is from http://www.msa.md.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc5400/sc5496/017400/017495/html/017495bio.html