6914Re: [TalkAntietam] How AP Hill knew of Miller's Sawmill Road?

  • Larry Freiheit
    Sep 29, 2012
      Maybe this fall we could bike to both the caves and the fords downstream? Maybe start at the parking lot at the Shepherdstown bridge on the Maryland side and first do the fords.

      From: Ian Workman <cwdigger@...>
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:32 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] How AP Hill knew of Miller's Sawmill Road?

      I was just discussing this today with Stephen. The Confederate troops had
      quite a few locals with them from the Virginia regiments. I would assume
      people like Henry Kyd Douglas would have mentioned the ford and road to
      Jackson. They didn't cross at the Antietam ford due to it possibly being
      guarded. The main force crossed at Blackford's Ford but there evidence of
      some of the Confederates crossing at the Miller's Sawmill Ford which is
      just upstream from the road. At one time there was a lot of stuff found
      along the banks (Virginia side) along that particular route. It would make
      sense that they would cross there due to Blackford's Ford being
      approximately 1 mile upstream and 1 mile back downstream. If you think
      about it, this would take a considerable amount of time to travel to the
      main ford.

      After the battle there were Confederate units watching the Miller's Sawmill
      ford as well as the Antietam Ford. The Antietam ford is just downstream
      from the mouth  of the Antietam and runs at an angle following the current
      towards the bottom of Knott's Island. There were some artillery shells
      fired at the Confederate Cavalry overlooking the Antietam ford. As of yet I
      haven't found where that spot was.